Flickering lights

Old July 8th 03, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rich Gwent

Default Flickering lights

Can anyone help with a problem I am having with the 12v lighting in my van?
I am getting a high frequency flicker, that only seems to happen when the
hook-up is used. If I switch off the mains supply the lights are fine. Also,
if the water pump is being used, the lights dim a bit but the flicker
disappears. The control unit is a "Lab Craft" and I think, a separate
battery charger feeding a 85 amp/hr battery. My previous van had a "Zig" and
I am sure the charger was combined in the unit? Every thing tells me it is
something to do with the charger, but some technical help would be
appreciated

Thanks
Richard

Old July 8th 03, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rich Gwent

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Try checking the voltage across the battery both on charge and off with
an accurate digital test meter and let me know what it reads. It should
be a stable (though higher) reading even when on charge.

I have checked the voltage as you suggested. The readings I got we 12.75v
off charge and 13.15v when connected up to mains. The reading was increasing
slowly when I first turned the mains on and then settled out to a steady
voltage. I haven't had chance to check for loose connections, should be able
to check tomorrow.

Paul, you said:
"The AC ripples from the charger aren't being smoothed enough. Might be a
circuit, might just be a large electrolytic capacitor across the 12V output
that's knacked"
Were you thinking the charger unit, or control unit?

Richard

Old July 9th 03, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Mr Mxptl" wrote in message
om...
(Paul Cohen) wrote in message

o.uk...
In article ,
(Rich Gwent) wrote:

The AC ripples from the charger aren't being smoothed enough. Might be a
circuit, might just be a large electrolytic capacitor across the 12V
output that's knacked. Don't hang around too long before getting this
fixed - depending on the precise fault, it may not be doing your battery

whole load of good.

Paul C.

I had this once when the battery was b*ggered - the thing didn't
have sufficient capacity to drive the lights.

The battery effectively acts as a smoothing capacitor when charged,
but if it's weak, the current drain comes increasingly from the
charger unit. If it gets worse the more lights you have on, then that
could be it.

Might be worth having the battery checked out.

The battery is effect on float charge. If you are getting a flicker when
this is connected It could be one of the rectifiers gone down there should
be 4 for a full wave rectifier and largish capacitors to act as smoothing.
Note the 12 volt from the Zig or Lab Craft should be capable of supplying
smoothed 12 volts DC current to operate the internal 12 volt appliances with
no battery connected. If the battery is getting DC current with an AC
component it will not do the battery any good. Have the charger checked out
by an caravan electrician.
Mike