Truma Heater HELP PLEASE

Old July 8th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Getta Nuvan

Default Truma Heater HELP PLEASE

Further to my previous note on this site, I have now investigated further
and it appears the noise coming from the heater may be because it is not
filling properly. Tonight I have drained it and filled it and it is not
taking much water before the pump switches off. When I drain it again only a
little water comes out, so I think the noise is being caused by lack of
water to heat, my wife is always complaining that the water goes cold very
quickly when she showers.
Can anyone help me. Please keep it simple as I am not very technical.
Many thanks

Getta Nuvan

Old July 8th 03, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Getta Nuvan

The hot water is running through the system fine with the taps open, within
a few seconds of turning the taps off the pump goes off, it thinks the tank
is full but it has virtually nothing in it.

Old July 9th 03, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Getta Nuvan" wrote in message
Further to my previous note on this site, I have now investigated further
and it appears the noise coming from the heater may be because it is not
filling properly. Tonight I have drained it and filled it and it is not
taking much water before the pump switches off. When I drain it again only

little water comes out, so I think the noise is being caused by lack of
water to heat, my wife is always complaining that the water goes cold very
quickly when she showers.
Can anyone help me. Please keep it simple as I am not very technical.
Many thanks

Getta Nuvan

Getta,

Have you closed the drain cock properly. To see if its closed properly, see
if there is any water coming form under the van when filing up. The
Kettering is when the water is getting hot and the thermostat hasn't kicking
soon enough but stops when it does.

The trick to showering in the van is to adjust the heat of the water for
comfort wet yourself first ( with the shower water!) then soap yourself,
then rinse off. Caravan showers are much more efficient with the one tap
system because you can switch off and on the water without having to adjust
for comfort thus saving water also the shower head should have very fine
spray holes if they are to large water is used quickly at low pressure Just
an idea.

Mike

Old July 9th 03, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Derek

"Derek" wrote in message
I don't know your problem as far as the amount of water is concerned but

the
new Trauma water heater in my van does hold a great deal of hot water I
find you need the gas on as well as the 240v when showering it is much
slower to heat than the old carver systems. Derek

I am sorry if this sounds silly but wonder if you are draining the heater
through the pipe in the floor via the flip switch under the bunk, not the
filter itself. It takes quite a long time to fill via the pump also a long
time to empty.
The heater itself holds more water than the carver system but is not as
efficient at heating it just takes longer

Old July 9th 03, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Getta Nuvan

Many thanks for all your replies. Rung Truma agents in Poole today, they
said tank must be full because feed is from the top, gave me details of how
to drain correctly as this is probably the reason that I felt the tank was
not taking in enough water. They felt sure that the element in the heater
was the problem and after I have checked one or two things tonight if the
problem is still there then they will order a new one.
Thanks again for your feedback.

Old July 10th 03, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Derek

To drain the Truma water heater Just find the drain tap which is under the
bed/seat base it has a bright coloured lever that is in the horizontal
position when it is closed move it to the vertical position and open the
water taps so that air can enter the tank. Let the water drain from under
the caravan floor until water stops flowing Then move the tap back to the
horizontal position and its ready to fill again. I hope that explains it.
Do you not have a handbook with the caravan also what year is it?, I can
prob send you a scan of the instructions for the water heater if you dont
have the book but the tank could be in a different position to mine. Derek

Old July 10th 03, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Getta Nuvan

Last night I heated up the hot water, then checked that I had about 10
litres of hot which I had. The tank re-filled. I then attempted to drain
the tank following the manual and Trumas verbal instructions, only about one
litre came out. Refilled it again and it only took about one litre.
Rang the local Truma agents this morning and they say that something must be
floating around in the tank that then gets caught in the draining procedure.

I have now booked it in for July 29th so they can take it apart and see what
is going on.
Thanks for all your help.