Old August 1st 17, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
bert

Default Leisure battery flat

In article ,
Whiskers writes
On 2017-07-29, Roy wrote:
Whiskers wrote on 28/07/2017 18:19:
Now proud owner of a proper campervan, but I think I may have killed
the leisure battery by letting it run flat. I thought they were meant
to be able to tolerate that sort of thing, but now I'm not so sure.

The present one is rated at 75AH which seems a bit small for a vehicle
with a fridge and likely to have very little time with a mains
connection.

I have now got a 6W solar 'battery conditioner' but it
seems to be too late for this battery.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Leaving the battery flat for a length of time will lead to its demise. 6
watts to recharge it is a bit optimistic.

Roy

Thanks.

Looks as though a trip to Halfords is in the offing then. I'm sure I'll
make other mistakes too as I learn the way of the campervan.

Well the presence of a fridge is irrelevant to the size of battery or
its charge as the fridge never runs off the battery.
6W solar battery chargers are a waste of time IME.
Leisure (deep cycle) batteries are more resilient to discharge than
normal auto batteries so you may get away with it. Charge it up and
leave it disconnected for 24 hours then measure the voltage. Should be
12v. N.B. some modern chargers will not actually work on a totally flat
battery. Alternative is to put it in the campervan and go for a drive.
75ah (same as mine) is adequate unless you are a TV/computer addict.
--
Bert