Channel Crossing advice needed please

Old July 8th 03, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas
Default Channel Crossing advice needed please

wrote in message
This is my 2nd outing with a van ( Bailey Ranger + Kia Sedona ) , we
are going to the Spa Circuit in Belgium to support my son who will be
racing his Caterham 28/29 August.

I have been told to go Dover Calais for Belgium, is it easier that way

I have tried web sites for booking and haven't seen a reference to
Cars + Caravans prices for ferry tickets, any rough guides to prices?

you don't say where you're starting from, or what your travelling
circumstances are.

If you're looking for a short sea crossing then Dover-Calais (Stena Line
www.stenaline.com, or Seafrance www.seafrance.com) are a good bet, with a
reasonable journey along the coast and then onto the Belgian motorways.

One other option is Dover-Dunkerque (shortens the journey in France) by
Norfolkline (www.norfolkline.com). These are basically freight boats, but
facilities are rumoured to be OK, and prices are sometimes attractive (less
sailings and possibly less attractive times than the above).

there are other options from the north, such as Hull-Zeebrugge (direct into
the Belgian Motorway System). An overnight sailing, and you pay for the
privilege, but sometimes can be convenient.

Your dates are still high season (but demand beginning to fall off), so you
may start to see some offers (there is overcapacity out of main season, and
they're chasing the custom at the moment.

If you are not a member of either of the clubs, it can be worth joining
simply to get access to the ferry fares. I'm a member of both, but out of
habit have tended to use the Camping and Caravanning Club rather than the
Caravan Club. I've never failed to get at least 20% off the quoted fares
from the website (for same sailings) and last year, at reasonably short
notice, I got a high season, prime time crossing via Seafrance at 50% less
than offered on the web.

Spam blocking in force. Remove nobumf from address to reply

Old July 8th 03, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gwilym Griffith

You could always try www.ferry.co.uk a site owned by P&O but comes out
quite a bit cheaper. They also give a phone contact to check with.