tent waterproofing

Old July 4th 03, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
rifleman

Default tent waterproofing

In ,
Chris French typed:
In message , rifleman
writes
In ,
P and J typed:
Hi,
I have dug out my old faithful lightweight backpacking tent but it
smells musty, with some of the proofing peeling off on the
groundsheet and outer. It is exceptionally well-made and light
(Fjallraven lite II - 2.5 lbs when wet!) and holds many memories!.
How is it best to recondition it - seal the groundsheet and outer?
and treat the inner?, how to remove the musty smell?, and what
products would anyone recommend.

The musty smell wioll go with a good airing - the outer
(waterproofing "peeling off"? I don't think so!)

If the material is PU coated nylon then this 'peeling ' is quite
possible.

I'd be quite surprised if Fjallraven used PU coated Nylon for a
"lightweight" tent!

--
(I may be wrong...I usually am....)
Google is your Friend

Old July 4th 03, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
P and J

I'd be quite surprised if Fjallraven used PU coated Nylon for a
"lightweight" tent!

Thats how it looks - peeling off a bit like glue does when its dried on the
hands - or possibly a layer of silicone? There's so much peeling off now
that its making a mess everywhere. I put it in the bin today, then took it
out again - can't seem to part with it.

What I really need is something that will totally strip the proofing, then
start all over again to seal the seams, outer and groundsheet, and to put a
water repellant on the inner. I'm still looking for something to strip the
proofing but the bin men come on Monday...

Jane
Bristol UK

Old July 5th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
rifleman

In ,
P and J typed:
I'd be quite surprised if Fjallraven used PU coated Nylon for a
"lightweight" tent!

Thats how it looks - peeling off a bit like glue does when its dried
on the hands - or possibly a layer of silicone? There's so much
peeling off now that its making a mess everywhere. I put it in the
bin today, then took it out again - can't seem to part with it.

What I really need is something that will totally strip the proofing,
then start all over again to seal the seams, outer and groundsheet,
and to put a water repellant on the inner. I'm still looking for
something to strip the proofing but the bin men come on Monday...

Jane
Bristol UK

I think your best bet is a new tent....

BTW, whereabouts in Bristol do you live? I was born and brought up there but
haven't been back for twenty years!

--
(I may be wrong...I usually am....)
Google is your Friend

Old July 7th 03, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
P and J

"rifleman" wrote in message
In ,
P and J typed:
I'd be quite surprised if Fjallraven used PU coated Nylon for a
"lightweight" tent!

I think your best bet is a new tent....

I know, but I was hoping for a miracle. I used the tent for my first
Pennine Way, overnight on the Lyke Wake Walk (before the film American
Werewolf in London), John O'Groats to Lands End for Save the Childrens Fund,
the Black Mountains and the Brecon Beacons, and to cheat when doing survival
training in the forces (concealed under my fleece as females were a no-no
for body searching (we had a fat cardiac-compromised CWPO who we knew would
be able to check up on us in the field).

BTW, whereabouts in Bristol do you live? I was born and brought up there

but
haven't been back for twenty years!

North Bristol - Bradley Stoke, the fastest growing out-of-town residential
area in Europe. Right underneath the flightpath for Airbus UK.......

The Avon cycleway runs practically past my door and we have easy access to
the Bristol/Bath Railway path. Bristol is of course home to Sustrans -
National Cycle Network, which lets us cycle pretty much off road right into
the city centre, then back up and westwards into Bath.

Take care,

Jane

Old July 7th 03, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
rifleman

In ,
Steve Beer typed:
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:49:34 +0100, rifleman wrote:

Ahhh - Westbury Park in the good old days when they were testing the
Pegasus Engines for Concorde under a bomber whose name I have just
forgotten.......

Avro Vulcan, fantastic aircraft.

Steve Beer

That's the one :-)

--
(I may be wrong...I usually am....)
Google is your Friend

Old July 7th 03, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

rifleman wrote:

Ahhh - Westbury Park in the good old days when they were testing the
Pegasus Engines for Concorde under a bomber whose name I have just
forgotten.......

The bomber was a Vulcan, the engine was an Olympus, the Pegasus is
fitted to the Harrier.

--
Marc
Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc