pennine v conway

Old July 16th 03, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
GAW

Default pennine v conway

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:19:16 +0100, "Netty" wrote:

we're looking to upgrade our pennine aztec for a larger folding camper - 6
berth, either a pennine or a conway.

I'm really torn between the two.....is there that much difference??

Thanks

Lynnette

We recently upgraded to a 6 berth folding camper, so we spent quite
some time looking into just that........

One thing we did do was to look at the second-hand units to try and
get a feel for how they wore; the canvas seems to be quite 'baggy'
with pennines that are only 3 or 4 years old. Also we found that the
door hinges rusted a bit on pennines, but they are of a slightly
different design to those found on the newer models.

Erection is different between the 2 brands, both claim '1-2-3'
erection, but looking into it in more detail, the 3rd step on the
pennine erection seems to involve around 10 tasks (that said, we are
informed that you need 'some' muscule for the conway 1st step as there
is a kind of vacuum inside.

We felt that build quality was important, some of the 'display' units
we looked at had incorrectly fitted catches around the kitchen unit,
and the conway doors do seem to close better when new.

That said, dealers who sell both brands seem to push pennine campers
that little bit more at present (maybe they make more money, maybe
they have too much stock, who knows?).

Other things you may want to take into the equation......

You 'seem' to get a higher spec of Pennine camper for the money

Pennine owners appear to be a lot more enthusiastic about their brand
than Conway

Pennine bought Conway in November 2002 & the Conway 2003 models are in
fact identical to the 2002 ones (old stock????). Since the takeover
however, Pennine have stopped making the Soverign (although dealers
still have some stocks) and the future of the Pathfinder appears to be
in doubt (misteriously missing from the front of the pennine website).
Conway no longer do the Cardinal Clubman (although it is in their 2003
broucher) and I would question the future of the Countryman. I only
mention this so that you know to purchase all likely accessories if
you are buying a 'discontined' model.

In case you are interested, we went for the Conway Cruiser in the end
- Build quality was important to us. But like all things, there is no
right or wrong answer.

I hope this helps

Graeme