Electric Hookups???

Old July 16th 03, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave[_2_]

Default Electric Hookups???

Can anyone give a simpleton some info on these......
i'm new to camping and don't have electric anything..but i would certainly
get something if i new anything about them.
Do you say.....plug an extension lead into site hook up and run stuff from
that or is it more complicated?

Any help would be gratefully received

Dave

Old July 16th 03, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Goofy

Basically yes.
It's a special connector, and in ours ends in a RCD protected 4-way socket
block.
Others attach to the caravan/camper via a special socket.

Old July 17th 03, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave[_2_]

at the moment im just planning uk hols.but who knows.....

"Eric Clarke" wrote in message
If you want power to a tent Towsure make the business but its dear.

However,
if you're going abroad then you just need a continental plug, some heavy 3
core and a socket.
Eric

Old July 17th 03, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Spanner[_2_]

Arn't the majority of sites hook ups protected with an RCD anyway?

Is it possiable to just use a cable and socket without an RCD?

Old July 17th 03, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian Rothery

"Spanner" wrote in message
Arn't the majority of sites hook ups protected with an RCD anyway?

Is it possiable to just use a cable and socket without an RCD?

There are a couple of good reasons to have your own RCD.
1. The site RCD may supply four or more pitches from the same outlet and as
such any fault in your equipment will also deprive your immediate neighbours
of electricity. Not the best way to make friends.
2. You will have peace of mind with your own RCD. When it comes down to
personal safety, relying on unknown equipment is not worth it for the sake
of 20 - 30.

A personal RCD unit together with a trip rating of 10amps, plugged into a
16amp site supply would be ideal.

Adrian.

Old July 19th 03, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Ron

Gecko wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone give a simpleton some info on these......
i'm new to camping and don't have electric anything..but i would
certainly get something if i new anything about them.
Do you say.....plug an extension lead into site hook up and run
stuff from that or is it more complicated?

Any help would be gratefully received

Dave

I camped at Rivendale, Campsite last week and the only pitch left was
one with electric hookup, so I bought a 1 socket lead with rcd from
www.abc-camping.co.uk cost all together inc p/p was 60.99 got it
day after I ordered it.

I was unable to find one cheaper, then that, I used an ordinary
electric extension lead which I plugged into this to give me 2
sockets.

Gecko

Need to look harder next time....53.95 at http://www.towsure.co.uk (inc
free p&p) ;-)

--
Ron Jones

Don't repeat history, see unreported near misses in chemical lab/plant
at http://www.crhf.org.uk

Old July 20th 03, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Gecko

"RTE" wrote in message

"Ron" wrote in message

Need to look harder next time....53.95 at http://www.towsure.co.uk (inc
free p&p) ;-)

--
Ron Jones

Allow between 7 to 21 working days for delivery.

RTE

Yep and that is why I did not buy from them!

Gecko

Old July 20th 03, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Drew[_2_]

Gecko wrote:
"RTE" wrote in message

"Ron" wrote in message

Need to look harder next time....53.95 at http://www.towsure.co.uk (inc
free p&p) ;-)

--
Ron Jones

Allow between 7 to 21 working days for delivery.

RTE

Yep and that is why I did not buy from them!

Gecko

If I was tent camping I would go for one of these... http://tinyurl.com/hicc

I just fitted a hookup to my Trailer tent, I got a cheap 16A external
power connecter (the type of thing found on caravans) this is mounted in
a hole cut in the trailer such that it is insde one of the side storage
bins, this is connected to a domestic double socket RCD fitted inside
the storage bin. The two 13A outlets on the RCD are then connected to a
further two double outlets mounted on the outside of the storage bins.
The result being 2 double outlets just like you have at home, with no
trailing wires.
Not really applicable to proper tents, but make a nice neat solution for
a TT.

Drew.