King size air beds

Old July 22nd 03, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
CampinGazz

Default King size air beds

Getting into the tenting lark just temporarily while i wait for the body to
be build on my motorhome, so i don't wnat to be spending loads of money on
things i wont have a use for after the end of the year...

After buying the tent, we needed somewhere comfy to sleep, we had a double
air bed in the attic, had it for well over 15 years, one of the ruburized
cotton things, it's fine except it's small.. were used to king size beds, i
have a super kingsize double sleeping bag so we like to be able to move
around in the bag with out it all dangeling on the floor,

So i was going to buy the only king size air bed i could find easily.. in
the index catalouge.. 24.99 for a flat boxed air bed,

Just before we went to index today i called in at makro to buy the party
grill (this one works, has all the ignition parts present.. lights first
click every time so far)
Well they had a JML kingsize air bed, with a mains powered inflator for
19.99, i usually dismiss JML stuff as cheap tat.. especialy the way they
are advertized by tacky video's playing over and over in the store (giving
htem the excuse to put 'as seen on TV' on all their products)

But for some reason i bought it, the inflator will be useless to me unless i
take the inverter from the last van along.. not exactly practical as it's a
big bugger, direct wired and i've added remote panels, but the air bed was
hopefully going to be fine, and i planned on using the 12 volt car hoover to
inflate it (reverse the polarity to is blows, and attatch a nozzle

Getting it out of the box i was no impressed to find the bed was made from
the very thin rubber they make kids boats from, which have always punctured
easily and never stayed inflated properly more than 3 or 4 hours,

Well i pumped it up, got it fairly firm, and layed on it, half an hour later
i could feel my bum was on the floor, bloody thing's going down, so i'll
take it back tommorow, but looking at the one offered in index, it seems to
be the same construction,

Has anyone got one of the flat square air beds from index? do they stay
inflated all night? or are they like this JML version,

Or does anyone know of a place that sells the rubberised cotton air beds in
a king size size (150 or so CM wide) i'd really prefer one of the 'real'
camp air beds, but it has to be kingsize, something that keeps inflated, and
dosent look like it'll pop at the first sight of a stone,

oh and i'm after cheap, i know i could spend well over 200 quid on one, but
i am looking at a 20 to 30 quid max air bed.

Cheers,
Gazz

Old July 22nd 03, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Graham[_2_]

Saw one in Tescos (Extra) tonight - Might not have been kingsize, though it
looked big on the front of the box !

Think that was around 15-19, but didn't have time to look too closely.
Seemed a brushed cotton type though.

Graham

Old July 23rd 03, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Barry Jaggar

Hi
There's always a place you can 'borrow' camping gear for FREE it's as long
as you don't want to use it for more than 18 days, where you ask? Argoose,
they have a 18 day money back guarantee on this stuff. I have a brand new
tent every year for camping then take it back and say it was leaking :-)
They also sell airbeds that can also leak, can't they ?

Old July 26th 03, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
mountain

"CampinGazz" wrote in
:

snip

Has anyone got one of the flat square air beds from index? do they
stay inflated all night? or are they like this JML version,

Yes, it does stay inflated all night, I generally need to top it up a
little every few days though. It is very deep and comfortable though it can
be cold if you don't have enough warm things underneath you.

Unfortunately the inflation hole is slightly bigger than the 12v pump that
Index sell but wrapping a couple of turns of electrical tape round the
adaptor on the pump works perfectly to increase the diameter.

mountain