Camping Italy

Old July 23rd 03, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Si

Default Camping Italy

My wife, 2 kids and myself are camping this year in Italy. We are driving
to Menton (just outside Monaco), staying in a Hotel overnight and then
pushing onto camping down the Mediteranian side of Italy. At first we
thought of trying the Adriatic side, but this is a lot further.
Anyone have any tips of good camp sites to try, we're looking for beach and
things for kids to do ie kids club.
We normally camp in France and this year we have a plan, we aim to use a
small 4man tent the first night, then if we don't like the place we move on
, if we like it then we erect the 'beast' and settle in for a week or two.
I have also heard that you need to book camp sites in Italy well in advance,
I can't beleive this as I've never had a problem in France, unless you know
different. If that's the case I may just get on the phone now!
If anyone can suggest some places then we may have a look if they are not
too far down.

Cheers
Si

Old July 24th 03, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Eric Clarke

No, Simon, you can get away without booking sites but the whole of Italy,
just about, is on holiday for July and August. You would be well advised to
make sure you have a site by 3 pm and you will probably find that your
preferred site, by the beach, activities for children etc, will be a
non-starter. You might find a municipal and the same goes for the beach -
most of the Italian coast-line is in private hands and such beaches are
immaculate, along with the sites attached but the local authority is bound
by law to provide facilities for the poor people and this is where everyone
else dumps their rubbish. On a more positive note the coast between Genoa
and Livorno is not so popular as the Adriatic. The Camping Club Continental
Sites Guide is extremely reliable and is available to non-members at
bookshops. It's no good recommending a site then you find it's full etc etc.
Eric