Stability of Khyam Rigidome tents

Old August 2nd 03, 02:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Knud.VanEeden

Default Stability of Khyam Rigidome tents

I am looking to but a large family tent. I genrerally camp in Scotland on
fairly exposed sites where in the past i had a large Vango dome (fiberglass
poles) detroyed by a fairly sytong wind (but by no means a gale !).

I wondered if anyone knew how the rigi domes stand up to strong wind (im
talking summer camping only) ?

Old August 2nd 03, 05:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
CHRIS 159

"Knud.VanEeden" wrote in message
I am looking to but a large family tent. I genrerally camp in Scotland on
fairly exposed sites where in the past i had a large Vango dome

(fiberglass
poles) detroyed by a fairly sytong wind (but by no means a gale !).

I wondered if anyone knew how the rigi domes stand up to strong wind (im
talking summer camping only) ?

theyre vigorously tested in wind tunnels. and ive heard (but not seen) that
you can get winds strong enough to make the tent lay almost flat without
damaging them. that would be nice to see for own peace of mind

Old August 2nd 03, 05:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
\Em\

"CHRIS 159" wrote in message

| "Knud.VanEeden" wrote in message
| I am looking to but a large family tent. I genrerally camp in Scotland
on
| fairly exposed sites where in the past i had a large Vango dome
| (fiberglass
| poles) detroyed by a fairly sytong wind (but by no means a gale !).
|
| I wondered if anyone knew how the rigi domes stand up to strong wind (im
| talking summer camping only) ?
|

| theyre vigorously tested in wind tunnels. and ive heard (but not seen)
that
| you can get winds strong enough to make the tent lay almost flat without
| damaging them. that would be nice to see for own peace of mind

Beats sitting down I suppose ! ;o)

Old August 2nd 03, 05:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
CHRIS 159

""Em"" wrote in message
"CHRIS 159" wrote in message

| "Knud.VanEeden" wrote in message
| I am looking to but a large family tent. I genrerally camp in Scotland
on
| fairly exposed sites where in the past i had a large Vango dome
| (fiberglass
| poles) detroyed by a fairly sytong wind (but by no means a gale !).
|
| I wondered if anyone knew how the rigi domes stand up to strong wind

(im
| talking summer camping only) ?
|

| theyre vigorously tested in wind tunnels. and ive heard (but not seen)
that
| you can get winds strong enough to make the tent lay almost flat without
| damaging them. that would be nice to see for own peace of mind

Beats sitting down I suppose ! ;o)

oh yes - theres nothing better than laying down in a tent ;-p

Old August 4th 03, 07:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.camping,uk.rec.camping
Trevor Patterson

I have had my XXL Special Edition for almost 3 years now. Have been camping
from around March to September along the North Devon coast. Campsite is
around 150m from beach and have had no problems even with some of the
onshore winds that I have encountered.

Regards

Trevor
--