Argos camping mat

Old August 5th 03, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Steve Griffin

Default Argos camping mat

Anyone know anything about the Pro Action Self Inflating Camping Mat?
Closed cell (suppose it must be if it's self inflating)? Weight?
188x51cms - but depth? Anyone tried one? I'm thinking about
easy/overnight backpacking.

Steve
Old August 5th 03, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_2_]

On 5 Aug 2003 03:57:34 -0700, Steve Griffin wrote:

Anyone know anything about the Pro Action Self Inflating Camping Mat?
Closed cell (suppose it must be if it's self inflating)? Weight?
188x51cms - but depth? Anyone tried one? I'm thinking about
easy/overnight backpacking.

It is pretty heavy, 1.4kg

You would be better off with one of these (isolated page from frameset)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X30742F75

http://www.millets.co.uk/cgi-bin/Millets.storefront

There is a review from uk.rec.walking at

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2F612F75

Old August 5th 03, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
CHRIS 159

"Steve Griffin" wrote in message
om...
Anyone know anything about the Pro Action Self Inflating Camping Mat?
Closed cell (suppose it must be if it's self inflating)? Weight?
188x51cms - but depth? Anyone tried one? I'm thinking about
easy/overnight backpacking.

a friend of mine recently bought one. its about 30mm thick. its not been
field tested yet but inflated and laid on a concrete floor it seems ok to me
(grass is usually softer than concrete).
the only thing i dont like about it is that the pillow section has to be
blown up by mouth/pump.

tesco do one very similar for the same price which doesnt have apillow
section - its a full length mat so theres no *please excuse my choice of
words if kids are present* mouth work to be done. doesnt come with a holdall
tho but does that really matter ???

HTH

Old August 5th 03, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tosh

"Steve Griffin" wrote in message
om...
Anyone know anything about the Pro Action Self Inflating Camping Mat?
Closed cell (suppose it must be if it's self inflating)? Weight?
188x51cms - but depth? Anyone tried one? I'm thinking about
easy/overnight backpacking.

Steve

We got one, but it did not inflate that much, so took it back.

Tosh

Old August 5th 03, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
CHRIS 159

"Tosh" ** wrote in message

"Steve Griffin" wrote in message
om...
Anyone know anything about the Pro Action Self Inflating Camping Mat?
Closed cell (suppose it must be if it's self inflating)? Weight?
188x51cms - but depth? Anyone tried one? I'm thinking about
easy/overnight backpacking.

Steve

We got one, but it did not inflate that much, so took it back.

i dont know wether the argos one comes with instructions or not but the
tesco one says to leave the valve open for 10 mins.
i/we did that with the argos one and it inflated quite a bit

Old August 6th 03, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Steve Griffin

Phil Cook wrote in message . ..
On 5 Aug 2003 03:57:34 -0700, Steve Griffin wrote:

You would be better off with one of these (isolated page from frameset)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X30742F75

http://www.millets.co.uk/cgi-bin/Millets.storefront

I'd understood that airbeds were to be avoided because of poor
insulation... is there a contrary view on this? We're likely to be
using them spring/summer/autumn, but mostly in the far south-west, so
no very low temps.

Steve
Old August 6th 03, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_2_]

On 6 Aug 2003 02:35:19 -0700, Steve Griffin wrote:

Phil Cook wrote in message . ..
On 5 Aug 2003 03:57:34 -0700, Steve Griffin wrote:

You would be better off with one of these (isolated page from frameset)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X30742F75

http://www.millets.co.uk/cgi-bin/Millets.storefront

I'd understood that airbeds were to be avoided because of poor
insulation... is there a contrary view on this? We're likely to be
using them spring/summer/autumn, but mostly in the far south-west, so
no very low temps.

Conventional wisdom says that airbeds are indeed best avoided in the cold due to
convection within the airbed transferring heat from you to the ground. I would
think that the one above will be less prone to that because each individual reed
is separate and a little smaller than the normal box airbed. Given your area and
time of use I would think that you wouldn't notice any great lack in
insulation. In extreme circumstances you could sleep with your pack and spare
clothing under the airbed to give extra insulation.