Where to get a leisure battery?

Old August 7th 03, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Steve Davis

Default Where to get a leisure battery?

Hi all,

I'm interested in running a 12v coolbox from a leisure battery this w/end.
The ones I've seen just seem to have terminals. Do they exist with cigarette
lighter sockets?

Anywhere online that sells them or something similar?

cheers

Steve

Old August 7th 03, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim :o\)

"Steve Davis" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm interested in running a 12v coolbox from a leisure battery this w/end.
The ones I've seen just seem to have terminals. Do they exist with

cigarette
lighter sockets?

Anywhere online that sells them or something similar?

cheers

Steve

You can buy an adapter, crocodile clips at one end and a cigarette lighter
socket at the other.

Old August 7th 03, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
CHRIS 159

"highgateuk" wrote in message

"Steve Davis" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm interested in running a 12v coolbox from a leisure battery this

w/end.
The ones I've seen just seem to have terminals. Do they exist with

cigarette
lighter sockets?

Anywhere online that sells them or something similar?

cheers

Steve

Netto are selling cool boxes this week. according to the advert they

plug
into the cigarette lighter. Price 24.99

ive jus bin an got one. it cools or heats. 24 litre capacity. not a bad lil
thing really

Old August 9th 03, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Eilbeck

"John Moorhouse" writes:

In ,
Steve Davis typed:
Hi all,

I'm interested in running a 12v coolbox from a leisure battery this
w/end. The ones I've seen just seem to have terminals. Do they exist
with cigarette lighter sockets?

Anywhere online that sells them or something similar?

cheers

Steve

Watch the rating of the coolbox, to see if it will flatten the
battery, say 5pm friday - 5pm sunday = 48 hours, if you get a 110
Amp hour one this will give you just over2 amp current for the 48
hours, check that this will be enough for the coolbox, ours
(admittedly a large one) pulls 6 amps, so I can only hope for about
15 / 17 hours running just on the battery, ok for a day out but not
for staying overnight.

Amp hours rating of the battery / current drawn by cool box = hours
you can use it for.

To a first approximation that's true but batteries have different
capacities for different discharge rates. A 110Ah battery may last
quite a bit more than 55 hours for a 2A discharge rate but a 7Ah
battery will last a lot less than 3.5 hours with the same load.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
Old August 11th 03, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
John Cutler

Most Battery companies quote their Amp/Hour rating at a 20 hour rate,
"The ampere_hour capacity measures the total amount of electricity stored in
a battery. An ampere-hour represents the ammount of electricity when a
current of 1 ampere passes for 1 hour. The ampere-hour capacity varies with
the rate at which the battery is discharged, the slower the discharge the
greater the ammount of electricity that a battery will deliver The ampere
hour capacity is the ammount of electricity that a battery will deliver
during 20 hrs before the voltage falls to 10.5 volts. For example a 60ampere
hour battery will delivere a current of 3 amps for 20 hours.

We can supply all leisure batteries. www.phoenix-auto.co.uk

"John Moorhouse" wrote in message
To a first approximation that's true but batteries have different
capacities for different discharge rates. A 110Ah battery may last
quite a bit more than 55 hours for a 2A discharge rate but a 7Ah
battery will last a lot less than 3.5 hours with the same load.

Now I am realy confused !!!

Should the specification of a battery therefore include a statement such

as
:-

110Ah at 2 A discarge rate
100Ah at 5 A discharge rate
80 Ah at 10 A discharge rate

as it seems from this that the amp Hour capacity is infact meaningless.

Ta

John

Old August 12th 03, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
QrizB

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:00:17 +0100, "John Moorhouse"
wrote:

In ,
John Cutler typed:

John, my comments were more aimed at the previous comment by Chris Elbeck:-

To a first approximation that's true but batteries have different
capacities for different discharge rates. A 110Ah battery may last
quite a bit more than 55 hours for a 2A discharge rate but a 7Ah
battery will last a lot less than 3.5 hours with the same load.

I have always understood the Amp Hour concept that you outlined, although I
didn't know about the 20 hour rule, what my confusion was over is this
statement and wondered how much the capacity was effected by the discharge
rate as indicated above, I see that the greater the current drawn the warmer
the battery would get but would it appreciably affect the useable capacity
of the battery, ie. would I actually get say 65 hours @ 2 amps, 20 hours @
5.5 amps and only 8 hours at 11 amps as Chris has suggested out of my 110
amp hour battery ?

Along those lines, yes, although the precise figures are almost
certainly different.

There's a useful concept, "internal resistance" - it's explained
fairly well he

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/~rfitzp...es/node43.html
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/~rfitzp...es/node48.html

Basically, the more current you draw from a battery, the more stored
power is wasted heating up the battery and the less is usefully
transferreed to your appliance.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old August 16th 03, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Eilbeck

"John Moorhouse" writes:

In ,
John Cutler typed:
[...]

That sounds entirely reasonable to me. Check the spec sheet of the
battery you intend to use on the manufacturer's website. They'll
normally give discharge curves for different loadings.

Chris