Coleman Fuel?

Old August 10th 03, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
BraileTrail

Default Coleman Fuel?

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy Coleman Fuel in larger
quantities that the 0.5 litre cans I have found so far. I am hoping that
it will be significantly cheaper in larger quantities.

I know I could use unleaded petrol, but is smokes way too much and makes
a real mess of the stove and your hands when assembling it!

Thanks,
BraileTrail
Old August 10th 03, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Squid

I have never seen it in anything larger that the 0.5 litre cans. My local
store sells it for 5.50 per can!. I'll keep running my MSR on unleaded - I
have been doing this for the past 10 years and the stove is still going
strong. I even burned diesel in Egypt no problem. It's a pain to strip and
clean it, but at 40p per half-litre it's worth the saving!!

Squid

--

---

Old August 10th 03, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
QrizB

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 12:32:17 +0100, BraileTrail
wrote:

I know I could use unleaded petrol, but is smokes way too much and makes
a real mess of the stove and your hands when assembling it!

I'm not sure whether it's just your stove, but my Coleman 533
Sportster II Dual-Fuel runs perfectly on unleaded. No smoke, no mess
to speak of,just a roaring red-hot burner.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old August 10th 03, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 15:44:58 +0100, BraileTrail
wrote:

Unleaded is generally accepted as dirtier to use with multi-fuel stoves
than "white gas". Diesel and paraffin, etc. are dirtier still. That
could just be clever marketing to get us to buy expensive Coleman fuel,
but it certainly matches my experience.

Being cynical I wonder if they make the stoves so that they burn
unleaded in a dirty way so they get more Coleman gas sales?!!!

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Start today! Jack in yer job, have a lie in, cause trouble and then
Old August 11th 03, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
John David Myers

--
Member of the Lovers of the Argos tent movement
wrote:

I know I could use unleaded petrol, but is smokes way too much and makes
a real mess of the stove and your hands when assembling it!

I'm not sure whether it's just your stove, but my Coleman 533
Sportster II Dual-Fuel runs perfectly on unleaded. No smoke, no mess
to speak of,just a roaring red-hot burner.

Do you use the petrol to prime it with or are you using meths.? Is their
something else on the market you can prime with.
I until recently used parafin in my MSR but got fed up with the blackening
of the pots and pans and of course the smell. I now use Colemans, much
cleaner although does smell somewhat.

John

--
QrizB

be fooled.

Old August 13th 03, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Neil Purling

Well I used to have a SVEA123, Optimus 8R and a Primus 71. They were all
used with unleaded straight from my motorcycle, but primed with a good dose
of meths.
However using unleaded does mean they all stink and on a windy day yer pans
get awfully sooty.

I have gone back to using paraffin - in a Optimus 111T, Optimus 00 and a
English Burmos.
I would reccomend you acquire a older Optimus 111 with the roarer burner for
camping on present evidence. I have not tried the latest Optimus 111C.

Old August 19th 03, 03:45 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
richard baker

Dump the coleman and buy an old Primus parafin/kerosene stove off ebay
(10-25). They burn hot, are very reliable and cheap to run. Another plus
is that parafin does not explode into flame like petrol. Another option is
the trangia stove that runs on meths, more expensive that the primus but
nothing can go wrong because they have no moving bits to wear out (you can
pick up ex swedish army trania's with pots for about a tenner on ebay)

All the best

Richard

Old August 19th 03, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

richard baker wrote:

Dump the coleman and buy an old Primus parafin/kerosene stove off ebay
(10-25). They burn hot, are very reliable and cheap to run.

Not as hot as petrol, smoke, clog need pre- heating and flare, the fuel
is not as widely available as petrol the fuel may be cheap but it
smells and the smell lingers for days, along with the marks it leaves on
anything it touchs

Another plus
is that parafin does not explode into flame like petrol.

Yet a tipped parrafin lamp/stove will flare into a ball of flame as
compared to a Coleman that will work quite happily upside down.

--
Marc
Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc
Old August 19th 03, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
John Myers[_2_]

True, you would return to a burnt offering,

Come on Marc stove lighting contest??
So you can have a quick cuppa when there is a gale force wind outside.
hmmm.

John

--
Does living in Lincs make me a flatlander :-( ??

Remove the flatlands to reply by email.
"Marc" wrote in message
k...
John Myers wrote:

Dump the coleman and buy an old Primus parafin/kerosene stove off ebay
(10-25). They burn hot, are very reliable and cheap to run.

Another
plus
is that parafin does not explode into flame like petrol. Another

option
is
the trangia stove that runs on meths, more expensive that the primus

but
nothing can go wrong because they have no moving bits to wear out (you

can
pick up ex swedish army trania's with pots for about a tenner on ebay)

You forgot to mention it takes 30 minutes to boil enough water to make a
cuppa.

Only because it's not true.

The Association of Lightweight Campers hold a stove lighting contest
during their Easter Rally, and if it's windy enough it's quite common
for Trangias to win. As the wind blows the Trangia burns hotter as
opposed to other stoves which get cooler. The other advatage of the
Trangia is that you can leave your bacon and eggs cooking and wander off
and chat to someone else whilst they do, you can't do that with a
roaring Optimus 123 Climber or Whisperlite.