Khyam Rigidome XL - Any good?

Old August 19th 03, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Kevin

Default Khyam Rigidome XL - Any good?

Having just camped through a fair wind and watched several tents come to
grief, including my aged frame tent, we were particularly impressed by the
Khyam Rigidome Xl on the site which took it all in its stride.
Has anyone got one or feel able to comment on them, as we are thinking of
replacing our wreck with one?
Thanks in advance,
Kevin and Beverley

Old August 19th 03, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
CHRIS 159

"Kevin" wrote in message
Having just camped through a fair wind and watched several tents come to
grief, including my aged frame tent, we were particularly impressed by the
Khyam Rigidome Xl on the site which took it all in its stride.

sounds about right

Has anyone got one or feel able to comment on them, as we are thinking of
replacing our wreck with one?

go for it. ive used/owned 4 flexidomes and even theyre fantastic but the
rigidome's are erm... more rigid as the name suggests

Old August 19th 03, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris French

In message , Kevin
writes
Having just camped through a fair wind and watched several tents come to
grief, including my aged frame tent, we were particularly impressed by the
Khyam Rigidome Xl on the site which took it all in its stride.
Has anyone got one or feel able to comment on them, as we are thinking of
replacing our wreck with one?

(There has been some discussion about these tents before here, you can
look it up on Google Groups)

We have a Rigidome (Frontier) which we bought this year - so have only
had the chance to use it a few times. We have been very happy with it
the construction quality seems fine, and it goes up well (with a few
proviso's), it certainly feels like it will last well.

Though ours is a large model, with large areas of fabric it has been
very stable in winds. (We camped on a windy Nothumberland coast site
last weekend, though not so much as to break any tents that I noticed)
Certainly it is more stable than some of the flexible pole tents

Being a large tent (it will easily sleep eight), and seeing as there we
only two adults it was hard work getting it pitched - we did get some
assistance from others on the site - but then lots of other tens, some a
fair bit smaller were giving problems as well and required some
assistance from other campers.

But we are not that experienced yet with it, and there is a bit of a
knack to getting Rigidomes up quickly, and also the ground was so sandy
and the wind so strong that the pegs were pulling out as quick as we put
some of them in.

In calmer conditions I can easily put it up myself single handed, I
reckon we will be able to manage erecting it with the just pair of us
even in windy conditions once we have had a bit more practice and the
process has become a bit more slick. Another couple put up a smaller
Rigidome at about the same time as us and had no great problem that I
noticed - (the main problem for us was all the fabric flapping about and
pulling the pegs out.. )

But certainly it is not a tent to try and do single handed in windy
weather.

Niggles -

Pegs - could be better - they are a plastic (presumably nylon) and
rather to easy to break

Guys- our seems to have zillions of them that take a while to put out

Sealing - the tent is seam taped of course, but were hanging tabs are
fixed in the tent they give you a couple of tubes of sealant to do those
- on a tent of this price I think that should have been done in the
factory - not that it took that long to do.

Suggestions -

see if you can find a place to show you hoe they go up to see if you are
happy with it.

If you buy one do read the instructions and watch the video and practice
- it's not hard to put up but the rigidome section does require specific
techniques or it is possible to damage it.

Get the shaped ground sheet - it gives a nice 'floor' for the living
areas and of course protects the ground sheet of the sleeping
compartments.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old August 20th 03, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Kevin

Thanks for the advice and help. It looks like we are going for it, so will
be able to let you know how it works out.
Kevin

Old August 20th 03, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Trevor Patterson

We have had our Rigidome XXL Special Edition almost 3 years and cannot fault
it, the new ones are even better, especially with the back entrance having a
zip door in it.

The ease of putting up and taking dowin cannot be faulted (watch the video
first!) after having a tent with flexible poles and beeing on sites wathcing
others snap theirs, you appreciate the design.

Some will tell you the price is too much, but in this case I think you get
what you pay for. Only had one prblem with a joint breaking, but this was
due to being helped by my brother who deciede he knew how to put the tent up
on his own!!

Regard

Trevor

--
Earn a Second Income
50 - 500 per week full or part-time

Old August 21st 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris French

In message , Trevor Patterson
writes
We have had our Rigidome XXL Special Edition almost 3 years and cannot fault
it, the new ones are even better, especially with the back entrance having a
zip door in it.

Yep, that door is very handy.

The ease of putting up and taking dowin cannot be faulted (watch the video
first!)

We still have to hone our technique.........

Any tips from anyone on putting them up in the wind - I have watched the
vid (then it got taped over somehow....) but nay suggestions welcome to
ease the process.

--
Chris French, Leeds
Old August 22nd 03, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
\Em\

"Chris French" wrote in message
In message , Trevor Patterson
writes
We have had our Rigidome XXL Special Edition almost 3 years and cannot

fault
it, the new ones are even better, especially with the back entrance

having a
zip door in it.

Yep, that door is very handy.

The ease of putting up and taking dowin cannot be faulted (watch the

video
first!)

We still have to hone our technique.........

Any tips from anyone on putting them up in the wind - I have watched the
vid (then it got taped over somehow....) but nay suggestions welcome to
ease the process.

Put the pegs in for the first two poles facing the wind first - then the
back two. Never mind everything flapping around. Surely copy of the tape can
be had from Khyam. http://www.khyam.co.uk/