Tents and bags?

Old September 14th 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Steve Watkin

Default Tents and bags?

Recommendations please for L/W 2 man tents and good warm and light sleeping
bags.
Just come back from a wonderful week cycling on Mull but the camping gear
that I took with me was far too heavy.
So I need to buy better (lighter) gear for my next trip!

Old September 15th 03, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran[_3_]

Steve Watkin said...
Recommendations please for L/W 2 man tents and good warm and light sleeping
bags.

Budget?
--

Fran
The email address in the headers is now a spamtrap; however
Old September 16th 03, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
XRchris

I use a Vango Ultralite sleeping bag (the 1100 model) which always keeps me
warm and cost about 65.00 - 75.00. I do tend to be a warm sleeper though
so the 1300 model may be better for some.

see http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/aca...lite_1300.html

Old September 17th 03, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

As others have said it depends on how much you want to spend.

By for the best combination of space to weight I have come across in a
tent is a Robert Saunders Spacepacker. Masses of storage space in the
2 bell ends and it aint like sleeping in a coffin. I have slept in mine on
mountain tops.

Highly recommended.

As for sleeping bags the Mountain equipment Dewline or Liteline down bags
have probably the best warmth to weight ratio. Down is not at its best if
it gets damp or wet (could be a problem on a long trip).

I have a Snugpack Softie 9 (1.4Kg), which is OK most of the time, but
definitely NOT a 3 season plus bag. Especially on a long trip, you really
do want a decent nights kip, so I would go for a warmer bag. I have been
using it summer and autumn for a few years, and its low weight means its
worth putting up with for a night or too, but I would want a warmer bag if
I was away longer or later in the year.

My own logic is that its well worth the extra pound in weight to have a
sleeping bag thats perhaps warmer than you actually need, most can be
unzipped and used like a duvet if its too warm.

Stuart.
Old September 17th 03, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Steve Griffin

"Steve Watkin" wrote in message ...
Recommendations please for L/W 2 man tents and good warm and light sleeping
bags.
Just come back from a wonderful week cycling on Mull but the camping gear
that I took with me was far too heavy.
So I need to buy better (lighter) gear for my next trip!

We're using Mountain Equipment 'Sleepwalker 2' bags at around 80.00.
Good down to -5, (though not from personal experience yet...) The
'Thermo-Dynamic System' (elastic mid-section) is really good if you
find mummy bags claustrophobic! Weight 1400g.

Steve