Attention: Khyam Tent Owners

Old September 22nd 03, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

Default Attention: Khyam Tent Owners

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has bought a Khyam tent this
year.

Several people who have bought Khyam tents this year have reported
problems with flysheets seams leaking, allegedly the problem was caused by
the incorrect sized needle being used in manufacturer.

What I would like to know is the extent of the problem, does it affect ALL
Khyams bought this year ?

So if you have bought a Khyam and it DOES NOT LEAK in the rain can you
post a message here please ?

And of course if you have bought a Khyam and it DOES LEAK in the rain can
you post a message as well ?

Stuart.
Old September 22nd 03, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Em

"Stuart Robinson" wrote in message
. uk...
I am interested in hearing from anyone who has bought a Khyam tent this
year.

Several people who have bought Khyam tents this year have reported
problems with flysheets seams leaking, allegedly the problem was caused by
the incorrect sized needle being used in manufacturer.

What I would like to know is the extent of the problem, does it affect ALL
Khyams bought this year ?

So if you have bought a Khyam and it DOES NOT LEAK in the rain can you
post a message here please ?

And of course if you have bought a Khyam and it DOES LEAK in the rain can
you post a message as well ?

We have a "Khyam Special Edition" bought less than two years ago. This year
we experienced the first heavy rainfall and we got soaked. The back/front of
the tent with the sigle door and side window leaked along the seams. I
bought some sealant and sprayed the whole of the front/back of the tent. The
tent leaked the next day but only around the window so I sprayed the area
again. This sorted the leaks but now my wife wants a caravan as she does not
wish to experience the same deluge again - can't blame her really.

Old September 22nd 03, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

We have a "Khyam Special Edition" bought less than two years ago.

Me to, I bought mine this year.

This year
we experienced the first heavy rainfall and we got soaked. The
back/front of
the tent with the sigle door and side window leaked along the seams. I
bought some sealant and sprayed the whole of the front/back of the
tent. The
tent leaked the next day but only around the window so I sprayed the
area
again.

I have seen this reported (Window leaks) a few times.

Not very good for a tent at the top end of the price range is it ?

Stuart.
Old September 22nd 03, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
AndyP

Yep,

Bought a XXL Ridgidome this year and leaked in first heavy rainfall. Khyam
have said this is due to the needle size changing, and as we speak I am
waiting for it to be collected today to be returned and replaced by Khyam.

Friend who bought one at around the same time has had no leakage problems at
all, even in heavy rain.

Old September 22nd 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Kpster

"Stuart Robinson" wrote in message
. uk...
We have a "Khyam Special Edition" bought less than two years ago.

Me to, I bought mine this year.

I have seen this reported (Window leaks) a few times.

Not very good for a tent at the top end of the price range is it ?

My special edition (two years old) also leaks around the window on the side
nearest the door. Also this year had a small leak around the seam on the
inner tent hangers which was easily sorted with seam sealant. Sealant also
reduced but didn't eleminate the windows area leak.

I was a little disappointed that it leaked as we had heard such good reviews
about them previously as it is out first tent, although it hasn't put us off
camping.

Cheers

Paul

Old September 22nd 03, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

Bought a XXL Ridgidome this year and leaked in first heavy rainfall.
Khyam have said this is due to the needle size changing,

Where did it leak ?

Friend who bought one at around the same time has had no leakage
problems at
all, even in heavy rain.

Thanks for the comment, so it does look like not ALL this years tents are
affected.

Stuart.
Old September 22nd 03, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

Also this year had a small leak around the seam on the
inner tent hangers which was easily sorted with seam sealant.

Were these sealed when you first bought it ?

Stuart.
Old September 22nd 03, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
AndyP

"Stuart Robinson" wrote in message
k...
Bought a XXL Ridgidome this year and leaked in first heavy rainfall.
Khyam have said this is due to the needle size changing,

Where did it leak ?

Friend who bought one at around the same time has had no leakage
problems at
all, even in heavy rain.

Thanks for the comment, so it does look like not ALL this years tents are
affected.

Stuart.

It leaked around all the inner loop hangers - little puddles on the
groundsheet in the morning.

Old September 22nd 03, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

It leaked around all the inner loop hangers - little puddles on the
groundsheet in the morning.

Interesting.

Were the loops sealed ?

Khyam supply a tube of sealant with the inners for this purpose.

Stuart.
Old September 22nd 03, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mike R

"Stuart Robinson" wrote in message
. uk...
I am interested in hearing from anyone who has bought a Khyam tent this
year.

Several people who have bought Khyam tents this year have reported
problems with flysheets seams leaking, allegedly the problem was caused by
the incorrect sized needle being used in manufacturer.

What I would like to know is the extent of the problem, does it affect ALL
Khyams bought this year ?

So if you have bought a Khyam and it DOES NOT LEAK in the rain can you
post a message here please ?

And of course if you have bought a Khyam and it DOES LEAK in the rain can
you post a message as well ?

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Bought a Special Edition this year, used it 3 times, all in dry weather (so
I guess we dont count in this survey). We did , however, put it up in the
garden and put the hose on it before we took it out for real. There was no
signs of any leaks, damp patches etc.

Regards

Mike