Want to camp here before my boys are to old!

Old October 1st 03, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Gary[_2_]

Default Want to camp here before my boys are to old!

I'm looking to bring my two boys from the U.S.A.. to camp in Scotland. We
would like to be in the area of Sterling. Both boys are in Boy Scouts and
have done quit a bit of hiking and wilderness camping. We are looking at
this area as a place to retreat to, to come back to over the years. Our
Great grandparents are form the area and we would like to see and experience
the life there. We want to meet the people of the area and be a part of
there life for as long as we can say. Does anyone have suggestions to us as
to where and what we should bring to camp grounds in the UK? How do we get
reservations? Would like to find information on Slamanan Parish. if you
could help please e-mail me at

Old October 1st 03, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
MatSav

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:06:54 GMT, "Gary"
wrote:

I'm looking to bring my two boys from the U.S.A.. to camp in Scotland. We
would like to be in the area of Sterling. Both boys are in Boy Scouts...

Try news:uk.rec.scouting

--
MatSav
Old October 1st 03, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

There are several things you could do.

Get in touch with the Local Scout District, there might be a local troop
thats off camping, and I would be surprised (as a Scout Leader myself) if
the boys were not welcomed. The UK Scout Web site should provide contact
details;

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/index.php

This web site has reviews of campsites, You can also ask in the forums,
they are a friendly bunch

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk

Stuart.
Old October 2nd 03, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Bell

Stuart Robinson wrote:

There are several things you could do.

Get in touch with the Local Scout District, there might be a local troop
thats off camping, and I would be surprised (as a Scout Leader myself) if
the boys were not welcomed.

The boys might well be, but, no offence to the OP, the scout group would
be breaking every Home Office guideline for child protection known if
they welcomed an adult on the camping trip who had not gone through the
now pretty rigorous 'disclosure' process with the criminal records
bureau.

--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
Old October 2nd 03, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson

Current Scout guidelines are that those adults with unsupervised access to
children MUST have a CRB check.

In the case of camps etc, it is RECOMMENDED that those adults present also
have a CRB check, but it is not as far as I am aware a requirement.

If it were a requirement for all adults present, then things such as
father and son camps or parents visiting days would cease to be.

Stuart.
Old October 2nd 03, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Bell

Stuart Robinson wrote:

Current Scout guidelines are that those adults with unsupervised access to
children MUST have a CRB check.

In the case of camps etc, it is RECOMMENDED that those adults present also
have a CRB check, but it is not as far as I am aware a requirement.

If it were a requirement for all adults present, then things such as
father and son camps or parents visiting days would cease to be.

Thanks for the clarification. It would seem to me that both 'father and
son' camps (with a father for each child?) and day visitors (not staying
overnight) are different cases from the one envisaged.

Old October 2nd 03, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

Stuart Bell wrote:

There are several things you could do.

Get in touch with the Local Scout District, there might be a local troop
thats off camping, and I would be surprised (as a Scout Leader myself) if
the boys were not welcomed.

The boys might well be, but, no offence to the OP, the scout group would
be breaking every Home Office guideline for child protection known if
they welcomed an adult on the camping trip who had not gone through the
now pretty rigorous 'disclosure' process with the criminal records
bureau.

Which "Home Office guideline" would that be? And as for the CRB check
as it only checks criminal records in the UK ( and not all of them) all
that would happen with a foreign national would be that the check would
come back with "nothing known" ie it would be pointless doing it and
wasting yet another 36 of the taxpayers money. Instead it would be far
better to follow the SA's rules ( those I can show you rather than your
nebulous "Home Office guideline") and ensure that the adult had no
"substantial unsupervised access" to any young people.
Old October 2nd 03, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
LizR

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:06:54 GMT, "Gary" wrote:

I'm looking to bring my two boys from the U.S.A.. to camp in Scotland. We
would like to be in the area of Sterling. Both boys are in Boy Scouts and
have done quit a bit of hiking and wilderness camping. We are looking at
this area as a place to retreat to, to come back to over the years. Our
Great grandparents are form the area and we would like to see and experience
the life there. We want to meet the people of the area and be a part of
there life for as long as we can say. Does anyone have suggestions to us as
to where and what we should bring to camp grounds in the UK? How do we get
reservations? Would like to find information on Slamanan Parish. if you
could help please e-mail me at

Oh dear, I hope they haven't frightened you off! I'm sure your boys would be made
more than welcome by the local Scouts, but you sound as if you'd all be happier
camping out at a public campsite and appreciating your roots:-)

Try here for a campsite:
http://www.stilwell.co.uk/sitemap2.asp?Q=camps%7CC65

And here are some email addys for big-cheese scouts in Scotland:
http://www.stilwell.co.uk/sitemap2.asp?Q=camps%7CC65
Presumably one of them will be able to point your sons in the right direction.

And this might be useful:
http://www.scouts-scotland.org.uk/

hth

Liz
Old October 3rd 03, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Bell

Marc wrote:

Which "Home Office guideline" would that be?

'Safe From Harm, a Code of Practice for Safeguarding the Welfare of
Children in Voluntary Organisations', which followed from the Children
Act of 1989. The 'disclosure' system came from the Police Act 1997.

hth,

Stuart
Old October 3rd 03, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
marc

Stuart Bell wrote:

Which "Home Office guideline" would that be?

'Safe From Harm, a Code of Practice for Safeguarding the Welfare of
Children in Voluntary Organisations', which followed from the Children
Act of 1989. The 'disclosure' system came from the Police Act 1997.

Both of which predate the CRB so do not mention it making your previous
statement void.

Every Scout leader that I know takes the protection of young people very
seriously indeed and for you to intimate that one would put a young
person at risk is at the least insulting.

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk