A Caravan forum. Caravan Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Caravan Banter forum » Caravan, Motor Homes and Camping Newsgroups » UK Camping
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

UK Camping (uk.rec.camping)

Brasher boots



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old October 6th 03, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rick Townsend
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Brasher boots

For the last 5 years or so I've bought cheap boots mail order 30,
they've always been very comfortable though not all that water proof.
This year on the recommendation of a friend I bought a pair of Brasher
boots 90, big mistake. My friends brasher boots (circa 1995) are
excellent, comfortable warm and water proof. The ones I bought seemed ok
when I tried them on but after about 5 miles or so my feet began to
hurt. At first I thought maybe just a bit new, but last weekend we did a
12 mile hike. By the time we got back my feet hurt very badly, 4 hrs
after my big toes were still numb. We made a comparison between the
inside soles of my new boots, my friends boots, and a pair of Berghaus
boots. The inside sole of my boots are bent only in one dimension, the
others are bent in three dimensions, result undue pressure on the ball
of the foot behind the big toe. Brasher have refused to replace the
boots, instead insisting I send them back for inspection 10 - 14 days
wait (Ah me, 2 walks in trainers then.) Then what, if this is how
they're manufacturing their boots then I just bought the most expensive
pair of garden boots ever.

Those of you who have old Brasher boots, look after them cause the new
ones are no good for walking any distance. I though all footwear
manufacturers had learnt you can't get away with this old trick to
reduce the costs of manufacture.

Any recommendations for good walking boots?

--

Rick
--


  #2 (permalink)  
Old October 6th 03, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 97
Default Brasher boots

Those of you who have old Brasher boots, look after them cause the new
ones are no good for walking any distance.


Not sure from your description what has changed ?

I have a pair that is about 9 years old, very comfortable.

My brother bought a pair a year and a half ago, he also reports them as
very comfortable.


Stuart.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old October 6th 03, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JohnB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 45
Default Brasher boots



Rick Townsend wrote:

For the last 5 years or so I've bought cheap boots mail order 30,
they've always been very comfortable though not all that water proof.
This year on the recommendation of a friend I bought a pair of Brasher
boots 90, big mistake.


My 15-yr old daughter bought a pair earlier this year.
After three weeks walking in gently around the house, she used them for the
first time in earnest in the 35m Ten Tors on Dartmoor.
No problems whatsoever.
The boots then went glacier walking in Switzerland.

They were an excellent buy - definitely recommended.

John B

  #4 (permalink)  
Old October 6th 03, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rick Townsend
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Brasher boots

Stuart Robinson wrote:
Those of you who have old Brasher boots, look after them cause the
new ones are no good for walking any distance.


Not sure from your description what has changed ?


The inside sole, If you look at a cross section across the ball of the
foot, from the rear of the boot, the inside, where the ball of the foot
behind the big toe would be, should be lower (or the arch just behind
should be higher) than the outside, where the ball of the foot behind
the little toe would be, but it isn't, it's flat. This causes an excess
of presure on the ball of the foot behind the big toe, after a few miles
this will cause pain. I've done a fair bit of walking, owned a lot of
boots, none, not even my old RAF boots caused the pain these do.

I have a pair that is about 9 years old, very comfortable.


They would be, my friends are 8 years old and very comfy, that's why I
went and bought a pair.

My brother bought a pair a year and a half ago, he also reports them
as very comfortable.


Which ones did he buy, I bought the Hillmaster Classic.

Just in case anyone asks, I did the size check as recommended, one
finger down the heel with thick socks.

Rick


  #5 (permalink)  
Old October 6th 03, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rick Townsend
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Brasher boots

JohnB wrote:
Rick Townsend wrote:

For the last 5 years or so I've bought cheap boots mail order 30,
they've always been very comfortable though not all that water proof.
This year on the recommendation of a friend I bought a pair of
Brasher boots 90, big mistake.


My 15-yr old daughter bought a pair earlier this year.
After three weeks walking in gently around the house, she used them
for the first time in earnest in the 35m Ten Tors on Dartmoor.
No problems whatsoever.
The boots then went glacier walking in Switzerland.

They were an excellent buy - definitely recommended.


Which ones? maybe its just the hillmaster classics that have a problem.

Rick.


  #6 (permalink)  
Old October 6th 03, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 97
Default Brasher boots

I took the insole out (that does have quite a curve in it across the width
of the foot) and put the edge of a credit card across the boot. There is a
VERY slight curve there, the centre of the boot is about 1mm lower than
the edges.

Sure the problem is not with the shaped insoles ?

Which ones did he buy, I bought the Hillmaster Classic.


Hillmasters.

Stuart.
  #7 (permalink)  
Old October 7th 03, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rick Townsend
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Brasher boots

Stuart Robinson wrote:
I took the insole out (that does have quite a curve in it across the
width of the foot) and put the edge of a credit card across the boot.
There is a VERY slight curve there, the centre of the boot is about
1mm lower than the edges.

Sure the problem is not with the shaped insoles ?


Don't think so as the insoles are fairly flexible so would shape to the
boot. Anyway we compared them to a pair of Berghaus and an old pair of
Brashers, the internal shape is quite different.

Which ones did he buy, I bought the Hillmaster Classic.

Hillmasters.


GTX or classic?

Rick


  #8 (permalink)  
Old October 7th 03, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart Robinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 97
Default Brasher boots

GTX I believe.

Stuart.
  #9 (permalink)  
Old October 7th 03, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JohnB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 45
Default Brasher boots



Rick Townsend wrote:

JohnB wrote:
Rick Townsend wrote:

For the last 5 years or so I've bought cheap boots mail order 30,
they've always been very comfortable though not all that water proof.
This year on the recommendation of a friend I bought a pair of
Brasher boots 90, big mistake.


My 15-yr old daughter bought a pair earlier this year.
After three weeks walking in gently around the house, she used them
for the first time in earnest in the 35m Ten Tors on Dartmoor.
No problems whatsoever.
The boots then went glacier walking in Switzerland.

They were an excellent buy - definitely recommended.


Which ones? maybe its just the hillmaster classics that have a problem.


I've just rooted around under my daughters bed :-(

They are Hillmaster Classics (Ladies).

John B

  #10 (permalink)  
Old October 7th 03, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Rick Townsend
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Brasher boots

JohnB wrote:
Rick Townsend wrote:

JohnB wrote:
Rick Townsend wrote:

For the last 5 years or so I've bought cheap boots mail order 30,
they've always been very comfortable though not all that water
proof. This year on the recommendation of a friend I bought a pair
of Brasher boots 90, big mistake.

My 15-yr old daughter bought a pair earlier this year.
After three weeks walking in gently around the house, she used them
for the first time in earnest in the 35m Ten Tors on Dartmoor.
No problems whatsoever.
The boots then went glacier walking in Switzerland.

They were an excellent buy - definitely recommended.


Which ones? maybe its just the hillmaster classics that have a
problem.


I've just rooted around under my daughters bed :-(

They are Hillmaster Classics (Ladies).


Thanx for that, you're a brave man. :-(
Just been to try on some Meindl boots, guy in the shop says a friend of
his just had the same problem I had with a pair of Brashers. :-(

Rick


 



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6
Copyright 2004-2018 Caravan Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.