Cooker and Fridge Regulations

Old July 9th 03, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob

Default Cooker and Fridge Regulations

I am re-fitting out the interior of a DIY motor caravan and in order
to save space was thinking of putting the hob on top of the fridge in
the same unit. I would put in reasonable separation and a heat
resistant layer.

Then it occurred to me, is there any regulation which prohibits me
from doing this?

Bob
Old July 9th 03, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
I am re-fitting out the interior of a DIY motor caravan and in order
to save space was thinking of putting the hob on top of the fridge in
the same unit. I would put in reasonable separation and a heat
resistant layer.

Then it occurred to me, is there any regulation which prohibits me
from doing this?

Bob

My Hobby is similar to that straight from the factory.

Paul

Old July 10th 03, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Michael Leete

Hello Bob,

My name is Michael and I work for Dometic.

As some of the other posters have said it is common on mainland Europe to
put the hob on top of the fridge. The reason you don't see this in many UK
installations is because of the oven.

In your proposed installation there are a couple of points to consider. If
your hob has a grille underneath you will find there isn't enough room to
fit a full height fridge. So your choice is 60L fridge + hob + grille or 70
to 80 L fridge + hob w/o grille. The choice will be yours.

The other issue is the heat generated under the hob. This needs to get out
and you need to plan your venting carefully as the "anti-draught" sealing
around the fridge can prevent the heat escaping through the fridge vents.
Remember that if you allow heat build up between the under-side of the hob
and the top of fridge this will make the fridge less efficient.

Michael

om...

Old August 27th 03, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Alcock

,

i have a new Bailey and when the oven is on the fridge defrosts

Old August 27th 03, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BM

"John Alcock" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org...
,
i have a new Bailey and when the oven is on the fridge defrosts

Dont put the oven on......

BM

Old August 27th 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

i have a new Bailey and when the oven is on the fridge defrosts

Dont put the oven on......

Hilarious!
The reason is probably that the person who installed the fridge didn't know,
didn't read the instructions or just didn't care that
they must be fitted into a sealed compartment. 99.9% of caravan fridges are
not fitted correctly.
They fridge can only operate efficiently in a sealed box with no openings
other than the upper and lower vents.
If the fridge causes the worktop above and/or the cupboard alongside to get
warm there is probably an opening into the cutlery drawer area or similar.
It's not just Bailey. My pal has a three month old caravan which cost
16,000 and when he reported floor delamination they just casually said to
bring it in for warranty work.
DaveK.

Old August 28th 03, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BM

"DaveK" wrote in message
i have a new Bailey and when the oven is on the fridge defrosts

The reason is probably that the person who installed the fridge didn't

know,
didn't read the instructions or just didn't care that
they must be fitted into a sealed compartment. 99.9% of caravan fridges

are

blah..blah..blah

Now,...did someone move the fridge over to the oven during the night...or
unlikely as it would appear, but was the fridge ALWAYS there...mmmm.....so
you actually bought it like that but never noticed....well, must be someone
elses fault for not telling you the fridge was next to the oven...surely we
vanners are not expected to know these things.... Doh !!!

Hilarious......
BM.