Considering a motorhome - comments needed!!

Old July 4th 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
kennymacaloney

Default Considering a motorhome - comments needed!!

I know it's not exactly the answer you were looking for, but it is linked.
My wife and I do not have a motorhome, but we do have dreams. Anyway, when
we were on holiday recently we saw a couple of motorhomes which could house
a scooter in the back. As it happens, one of the bikes was identical to the
bike I own (Honda SH125), so I know that it is very capable of taking two
heavy people with ease. We have no experience of course, but it sounds like
a wonderful way of getting around once we reached our destination.

Kenny

"MJG" wrote in message
Would any body like to post views/comments/ideas on touring in a motor
home with particular reference to the practicalities of going off site
once pitched.

I know all about leaving a peg on your pitch with your number plate on
or a bucket over your pitch number to denote the pitch is occupied but
we would really like views on the reality of the other aspects of
using a motor home to come and go from your site when you are on
holiday.

We are currently toying with the idea of investing in a motor home but
one thing that dissuades me is the reality of using the thing as
everyday transport when on holiday as we do currently like to get 'out
and about' in our tow car when we are away in our 'van.

Towing a Smart car or some other such Dinky toy on a dolly does not
appeal as it rather to me negates a big benefit of motor home usage.

The other main attraction is that a restrictive covenant in our
property deeds restricts from 'parking a caravan or boat with or
without trailer' on our property. No mention is made of not being able
to park a motror home which on the face of it seems a neat way around
this.

Comments on any of the above will be most welcome.

TVM

---
MJG

Take THEDOG out to email me.

Old January 18th 16, 05:44 PM
Brian Noble Brian Noble is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymacaloney View Post

"MJG" wrote in message
[...]

The truth is unless you go for a fairly small motorhome you will always have some problems using it go sightseeing or shopping . However a compromise is to, as you suggest, carry a scooter or bike or go for a motorhome such as a Hymer (the type where the bed folds down on struts from the cab roof). They are about 18ft long (no longer than an old Jaguar) and can be parked in supermarket spaces, and they can still carry a bike or scooter on the back, but the rack increases the length somewhat.
Old March 29th 16, 09:51 AM
johnHarry johnHarry is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
The truth is unless you go for a fairly small motorhome you will always have some problems using it go sightseeing or shopping . However a compromise is to, as you suggest, carry a scooter or bike or go for a motorhome such as a Hymer (the type where the bed folds down on struts from the cab roof). They are about 18ft long (no longer than an old Jaguar) and can be parked in supermarket spaces, and they can still carry a bike or scooter on the back, but the rack increases the length somewhat.
I have both a motorhome and caravan and each has its own advantages, when traveling the motor home has everything, its also easier to manoeuvre, easy to use if stopping for a short while and very spacious. 5 of us lived in ours in France for 4 weeks without major issues, it also allows you the freedom to park almost anywhere and stay the night without much fuss and if there are any objections you just drive on. For me the down side is the expense as mine is 14 years old and required constant maintenance and doesn't like being parked for extended periods. Also when pitched it is a bit of a pain being stuck and not having transport to explore the area as you could do in a car.

The caravan is less expensive and gives you more options and probably better if you if your holiday means going to one location and staying there for 2 weeks and exploring the surrounds the motor home is better if you intend to stay in one location for only a few days.

A motor bike or scooter would not work for us as we would need 5 of them lol

Last edited by johnHarry : March 29th 16 at 10:24 AM.