GB plates in Spain

Old July 5th 03, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stephen Buckley

Default GB plates in Spain

I've recently been advised by a motorhome customer and a resident
of Spain that the Spanish police have been stopping British cars
that display the GB nationality plate incorporated in the number
plates on the grounds that it is illegal. Apparently the police
claim that it should be 'UK' not 'GB'.

Our number plate manufacturer tell us that they have never heard
of this and continue to supply us with 'GB' plates. Come to
think of it, I don't recall ever seeing a 'UK' plate myself.

Has anyone experienced this problem in Spain, or anywhere else
for that matter, themselves?

Stephen Buckley (MD) Dick Lane Motorhomes
Leeds - Bradford
Hymer Personal Import Agent - save 's on UK prices
Lunar Motorhome Distributor

Old July 5th 03, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nomad

Some time ago I recall the EU wanted Britain to change from GB to UK but I
do not know what became of the proposal, I assumed it had fizzled out or was
just another media tale.

On a similar subject think there is something in the July Caravan/motorhome
press about the GB Europlate not being recognized in Switzerland either and
you must have a large GB sticker displayed. I find this one also difficulty
to believe given that French, German Italian etc. vehicles regularly cross
into Switzerland displaying their national Europlates !!!!!

Nomad

"Mark" wrote in message
Stephen

According to the web-sites I could find you need a GB sticker
or the euro flag and GB on the number plate to be legal abroad.

Nowhere was there any mention of UK, the best I could find was
ENG/SCO on a number plate but they needed a GB sticker if you
had these on your number plate.

The following URL points to what the DVA say (GB sticker).
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faq_number_plates.htm#20

I've never had any problems with the new EU plates, though we
do have a GB sticker on our van as well as I wasn't sure about the
EU plates when we went to Holland the other year.

Regards
Mark

"Stephen Buckley"

wrote
in message ...

Old July 5th 03, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
klyne

"Stephen Buckley" wrote
in message ...
I've recently been advised by a motorhome customer and a resident
of Spain that the Spanish police have been stopping British cars
that display the GB nationality plate incorporated in the number
plates on the grounds that it is illegal. Apparently the police
claim that it should be 'UK' not 'GB'.

Our number plate manufacturer tell us that they have never heard
of this and continue to supply us with 'GB' plates. Come to
think of it, I don't recall ever seeing a 'UK' plate myself.

Has anyone experienced this problem in Spain, or anywhere else
for that matter, themselves?

Stephen

I am sure I read in a recent Caravan Club Mag that it was now not necessary
to use GB stickers if you had the Euro number plate. The exception is
outside the EU when you still have to display a GB sticker. There is not
such thing as UK sticker. All countries have been allocated a designated
national identity plate and for us it is GB as it always has been. I would
write to the Spanish Embassy and ask for and explanation, asking for a copy
in Spanish so that it can be shown to a Spanish Policeman.

David - Milton Keynes

Old July 6th 03, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike @ www.sivros.net

"Stephen Buckley"
wrote:

Thanks for your input everyone - as TP says - it's probably just
one anti-brit Spanish policeman 'strutting his stuff' that's
causing the problem !!!

I don't know if Spain has similar regulations to Greece
but you can only run a car on foreign number plates for
180 days before you must change over to Greek plates
or take it out of the country again.

The Greek police regularly check this. When you take
a vehicle into Greece the details of the vehicle and date
are normally recorded in your passport. That is what
the police are looking for. If it has been there for more
than 180 days they can impound the vehicle.

--

Mike @ www.sivros.net