zig

Old July 9th 03, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
michael CLAYTON

Default zig

hi all
im new to all this and am converting a renault traffic into a camper but
dont understand the electric part of things from connecting up a lesure
battery .I got a zig from a scrapy but dont understand the wiring .if anyone
knows any good websites or can help i would be verry greatful......mick uk

thankyou

Old July 9th 03, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"michael CLAYTON" wrote in message
hi all
im new to all this and am converting a renault traffic into a camper but
dont understand the electric part of things from connecting up a lesure
battery .I got a zig from a scrapy but dont understand the wiring .if

anyone
knows any good websites or can help i would be verry greatful......mick uk

Firstly, have you heard of the self build motorcaravanners club?
www.sbmcc.com

Secondly, there are loads of different makes of zig units, stand alone
chargers, stand alone 12 volt distribution panels, even just a volt meter
can be refered to as a zig unit.. and theres the combined power centers.
the sbmcc have most of the manuals available for items like this, they do
this specificaly for people who get second hand items with no instructions,
theres likely someone on the sbmcc's forum that has your zig panel and can
tell you the wiring,

i've got some basic wiring diagrams and other electrickery stuff on my site
www.kampenwagen.co.uk
i cover wiring up one of the zig distribution panels, split charge relays,
and making connections of different types and other stuff all relating to
self build motorhome electrics, this is all on the Kamper tech page,
the site is still in progress, i am slowly filling in the voids, but other
things are keeping me from doing so.. namely the engine in my latest van
dropping a valve, and having to use the money put asside for the coachbuilt
body for the engine, and having the engine come back to me in less than
perfect condition.. i expect no less for 4800, but havent got it yet,
so the mains charger part is not up yet.. even tho i have the sterling 20
amp 4 stage charger already (a very very good bit of kit, expensive, but
then the good stuff usually is

Old July 10th 03, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
T P

"CampinGazz" wrote:

Secondly, there are loads of different makes of zig units

No, there is only one company called Zig.

Yes, there are other manufacturers of units
that do a comparable job, but those companies
are not Zig.

Old July 10th 03, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"T P" wrote in message
"CampinGazz" wrote:

Secondly, there are loads of different makes of zig units

No, there is only one company called Zig.

Yes, there are other manufacturers of units
that do a comparable job, but those companies
are not Zig.

okay then, there are loads of different types of zig unit, that's what i
ment, most people assume because they have a zig unit, the next person with
a zig unit will have the same thing,

the rest of my post did explain that, i had a zig unit in my last van.. it
was just a 12 volt distribution panel,
i also had a zig charger, not the best thing in the world, (it's sat in
pieces under one of the workbenches now, after it blew a couple of
transistors that controlled the overheat safety switching, and promptly
tried to cremate it's self) bit it was still a zig,

Tho really i guess to most people, a zig unit is one of the all in one
controll/distribution/battery charge units, similar things available from
CEC/plug in systems and a few others,

I prefer seperates my self, tho i would possibaly go for a combi inverter
charger, if they werrent so damn expensive for the ones with the 3/4 stage
chargers in them.