Which VW Motorhome ? (Emphasis on Base Vehicle Reliability)

Old July 10th 03, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
T P

Default Which VW Motorhome ? (Emphasis on Base Vehicle Reliability)

"jambo" wrote:

More important can someone advice on the reliability of VW diesel engines,
as my final decision will be based on either normally aspirated diesel or
turbo diesel (102bhp). How easy are they to look after by self without
dealership ripoff. I did look after my GTI by self to a certain level!

From a reliability point of view, the normally aspirated and
turbo-charged 1.9 Diesels are over-stressed in the heavy T4
conversions and should be avoided. The 2.4 litre 5 cylinder normally
aspirated Diesel engine is a far better bet.

Later models of the T4 had 2.4 and 2.5 litre 5 cylinder engines in
normally aspirated and turbo-charged versions and these were all
comparatively reliable. So I would recommend avoiding the 1.9 and
going for a 2.4 or 2.5, either normally aspirated or turbo-charged.

My own personal preference is the 2.4 normally aspirated because I am
happy with its power. However, I can understand that others may want
more power, hence the turbo-charged version. If you use that extra
power, it is inevitable that the engine's service life will be
reduced, and of course you have the expense of replacing turbos too.

Good luck!