Stelplatz

Old July 14th 03, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mark[_12_]

Default Stelplatz

Hi

I'm after peoples experience of using stelplatz in Germany.

a; how easy are they to find, we have the stelplatz book but not all of
the dots on the map have a page describing where they are!
b; anyone have any experience of using them in the summer as that's
what we hope to use most of the time in a couple of weeks time when
we're touring southern Germany.

thanks for your views
Mark
(Span blocker, remove _planet to reply)

Old July 14th 03, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Williams

"Mark" wrote in message

I'm after peoples experience of using stelplatz in Germany.

Just the same as here, really. You fold out the two halves and then go up
them one step at a time until . . . oops! Sorry! I though you said
stepladders ;-)

Mike

Old July 14th 03, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Knut Grøneng

My own experience is very good for the southern and western part of Germany.
In the northern part it might be far between, and the standard in the east
is lower - but ok.
Some towns closes their central places without getting the books updated, so
try to have some alternatives.
One nice thing with Germany is that you may stay overnight on all
partinglots there it is not explicit prohibited.
The best places that never is in the books are the parking lots at
exhibitions centers.

One special place in the south is in the city of Trier in Mosel valley, the
"Messeparking" under the bridge close to a McDonald is good if yopu want to
be in town.
If not drive a few km down to Klüsserath to the best stellplatz in Germany!

Knut

"Mark" skrev i melding

Old July 15th 03, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mark[_12_]

Knut

Glad to hear that, just looked up Klusserath in out Stelplatz book, space
for 300 vans @ 4.50 euro a night, no mention of your name there!
Do you have to be at Stelplatz's by a certain time to get a space?

Thanks

Old July 15th 03, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Knut Grøneng

Do not be to late if it looks like crowded with womos (motorhomes in german)
on the road.
I usually get the places I want at 6 in the evening, but if you want to get
a place in the front row by the river... before noon.
It is a steady trafic with barges from early in the morning until late
evening. No boats in the middel of night.

You are right, I have no connection to any stellplatz operator, I am a
Norwegian - traveling around in much of Europe.

Knut

"Mark" skrev i melding

Old July 15th 03, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mark[_12_]

Knut

Thanks for that, sounds like a nice place to head for. We would love to
visit
Norway one day, think the cost puts us off at the moment, be better when
we've sent the daughter out to work!

Thanks for your replies

Old July 15th 03, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mark[_12_]

We can imagine it is, my wifes grandfather loved it when he
was there.

Thanks for the help, happy camping
Mark

"Knut Grøneng" wrote in message
Well, Norway is not as bad as you have heard, we have high prices on

hotels,
resturants and pubs - but among the lowest at campsites and one of the

most
liberal rules for "wild-camping" - if it is not explicit denied it is
permited to stay for a night. Pricing for some sorts of foods are higher
than in UK, and alkohol overpriced.

It is a nice country to use a motorhome in - I myself use my MH every
weekend (almost)