Conversion

Old July 18th 03, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Robin[_2_]

Default Conversion

Hi all, anyone had experience of fitting a caravan on to a van body ?
I have a one year old caravan, but as my wife's condition has worsened
(disabled). A motorhome would make things easier (maybe).
Thanks in advance.
Robin
Old July 19th 03, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"Robin" wrote in message
om...
Hi all, anyone had experience of fitting a caravan on to a van body ?
I have a one year old caravan, but as my wife's condition has worsened
(disabled). A motorhome would make things easier (maybe).
Thanks in advance.

Pop over to the self build motorhome club www.sbmcc.com go to the forum and
ask on there as there are a couple of people on there who have done just
that.. and a couple who gave up after they couldent cope with the height of
the finished thing.. problem you have modern caravans are so flimsy they
will fall appart if you remove the chassis, so you have a chassis sitting
ontop of a chassis when it's done, some people have had to use 5 rung step
ladders to get in the door!!

Of course, find a decent front wheel drive van, then things are easier as
the chassis wont be so high, but i'm sure someone else will be able to tell
you of any more posibilities or problems (depends on how much the caravan is
worth now.. you could sell it and have a coachbuilt motorhome built to your
design, things like a wide entrance door, low sinks/worktops are easy to do
when you are building the thing.. harder to modify an existing layout tho)

it'd cost around 17,000 to have a totaly custom coachbuilt body built onto
a van you supply.. using nu-venture, thats the body with all the insides,
and it's costing me 7,000 plus vat for a bare body to be built on my van in
december, i'm going for a 7 meter long body tho, so that's bumped the price
a bit, (door, windows, wiring, wall boards are included in the bare body
price) you can then fit the insided out to your spec's.. if you have the
time and ability.. which you sound like you do if you'r thinking about
putting a caravan onto a van.

Old July 21st 03, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Robin[_2_]

Thanks very much for your help.
Robin