Weight restrictions and Driving licences

Old July 20th 03, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Sara[_2_]

Default Weight restrictions and Driving licences

Has anyone ever encountered a problem with the overall weight (max payload)
of their motorcaravan in conjunction with the categories allowed on their
driving licence?

Basically, we are a family of six, and trying to find our ideal motorhome.
We were rather worried about not being able to take much with us when we
went away because of the payload of many of the vans we looked at. We have
been told that you can get them with base vehicles that carry a heavier
payload which we thought solved the problem, until something in a magazine
caught my Husbands eye about weight restrictions and UK driving licences.
Upon checking, my Husband can drive a vehicle up to 7500kg but I can only
drive one up to 3500kg as I only passed my test in December 98 so the C1
category which I need is not on my licence.

Has anyone else met with this problem? Does anyone know how I go about
getting the C1 category so I can drive a motorhome over 3500kg?

Old July 20th 03, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
QrizB

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:35:26 +0100, "Sara"
wrote:

Has anyone else met with this problem? Does anyone know how I go about
getting the C1 category so I can drive a motorhome over 3500kg?

C1 requires you to do another test.

There's some onfo at:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/applydl.htm
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/speci...ngements_f.htm

And you'll need a medical:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dmed1.htm

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old July 21st 03, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Robin Dumpleton

Anybody know how the new regs affect the train weight?
I thought that you could drive with up to 750Kg trailer on the new licence.
Over that I know you have to take a C1.
I luckily got Grandads rights so 12 tonne with trailer.

Robin

wrote:

Has anyone else met with this problem? Does anyone know how I go about
getting the C1 category so I can drive a motorhome over 3500kg?

C1 requires you to do another test.

Look in Yellow Pages for an LGV driving school, you may as well do the
category C test which is exactly the same but in a slightly bigger

vehicle.
The advantage is that there are plenty of schools around with cat C

vehicles
but much fewer with cat C1.

Alternatively you could do the test in your own vehicle if it meets the

test
vehicle requirements. You'll probably need some lessons first though,
however good your driving is the test has some specific parts in it which
it's very helpful to be familiar with before you go.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 21st 03, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane

"Robin Dumpleton" wrote in
:

Anybody know how the new regs affect the train weight?
I thought that you could drive with up to 750Kg trailer on the new
licence. Over that I know you have to take a C1.
I luckily got Grandads rights so 12 tonne with trailer.

You can download booklet D100 (What you need to know about driving
licenses) from the DVLA website. From that, you can drive a C1 vehicle
with up to 750kg trailer without needing to take the "+E" test. However,
"Grandad's rights" confer an entitlement for 8.25 tonnes, not 12 tonnes.

If you passed your car test prior to 1997, you automatically have C1 and
C1E, which allows you to tow with a C1 vehicle to a max authorised train
weight of 8.25 tonnes, but not for hire or reward.

If you pass C1+E (no matter when you passed your car test), you're
allowed a max authorised train weight of 12 tonnes.

Note that these are maximum authorised train weights, not actual train
weights. (The maximum authorised train weight is the lesser of: a) the
manufacturer's maximum train weight figure, or b) the MAM of the towing
vehicle plus the MTPLM of the trailer.)

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane