Insurance Suggestions Please?

Old July 23rd 03, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Eric[_2_]

Default Insurance Suggestions Please?

I've just had the problem of going through this exercise and it can be a
nightmare. Certainly, it takes a hell of a time on telephones and
frustrating dial-option calls.

One thing that governed the outcome very much was whether you require
breakdown service and particularly if you want European breakdown. This
complicates the issue considerably.

Have you, personally, insured the vehicle before because you will almost
certainly need an engineer's report on it, whilst many other firms will turn
it down out of hand, anyway.

Another problem is the length. My van is a lwb Tranny (18ft) and although
SAGA offer what appears to be an excellent scheme, their breakdown only
covers 17ft! Can you imagine anything more stupid for a motorcaravan.

Motor Caravan Magazine for last April, with a large and detailed review of
insurance, is an excellent starting point.

I personally settled with MTC (Motorhome Ticket Club) telephone 08808
1003016 - or better still, look first at their website at
www.ferrytickets.net for all the details.

They were very easy and pleasant to deal with and my problem is not helped
by the fact that the vehicle was registered in 1989. It reads like a very
good policy, designed for motorcaravans, not cars, and I am very pleased
with it. They only work through a broker, of course.

(By the way, has anyone made any claims on them?)

Let me know if you need further help.

Eric

"riccip" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good insurer or broker for my '95 Transit
self-build? Other than "Shield" that is?

Many thanks