Wanted: Brompton folding cycles

Old August 13th 03, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

Default Wanted: Brompton folding cycles

Do you know of anyone selling a Brompton folding cycle?.

We want to buy 2 as we don't want a cycle rack on the back of our motorhome
so will have to carry folding cycles inside.
Bromptons seem to take up the least space when folded.

Mail off list please with any information.

Thank you.

Gillian

Old August 13th 03, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Shorty

Gill,
Just a thought, but try www.sterlinghouse.co.uk . I have purchased a couple
of bikes from them in the past and have recently had a catalogue from them
showing folding bikes.
Good Luck
Steve

"dodger" wrote in message
Gill
Have a look at www.bikeinabag.co.uk ? .com? advert in last C&CC Mag
We have two similar ones, blue not yellow and you can carry the things
over your shoulder in a bag.
Ours are the non geared versions there are some with gears. My local
bike shop sells them so they should be available local to you
Roger

Old August 13th 03, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"Bill" wrote in message

I have a Dawes Metropolis in virtually as new condition. My wife bought

it
then only used it a couple of times. It has lived on top of a chest of
drawers in our spare bedroom for the past couple of years.

Bill

---------------------------
Hi Bill

I can find little information on the Dawes Metropolis on the net.
Have you any information regarding the spec. that you can pass on.
We are particularly interested in ease of folding, the dimensions after
folding, the weight, gears (if any) and does it have a bag to live in when
folded?

Also, if I can be rude, why has it spent the last couple of years on top of
a chest of drawers. Did it not come up to expectations\\/

Gillian

Old August 13th 03, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"dodger" wrote in message
Gill
Have a look at www.bikeinabag.co.uk ? .com? advert in last C&CC Mag
We have two similar ones, blue not yellow and you can carry the things
over your shoulder in a bag.
Ours are the non geared versions there are some with gears. My local
bike shop sells them so they should be available local to you
Roger

--------------------------------
Thank you for that, Roger I hadn't seen the advert.
Did you consider the Brompton before you looked at the bike-in-a-bag and if
so how do they compare.

We were looking for Bromptons (even though they are expensive) simply
because they have had such good write ups by the cycling press and from
users.

I will check locally to see if anyone stocks the bike-in-a-bag although the
web site does suggest that mail order as the way to purchase.

Have you been on holiday yet?

Gillian

Old August 14th 03, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Stewart

We bought Bromptons T6 last year mainly because a cycling family we meet on
holiday ( they do not own a car and cycle almost everywhere) gave Brompton
their complete reccomendation. As they said you can buy cheaper brands ( and
dearer ) but the Brompton will still be going after othere have packed up.
We also negotiated a discount at our local shop. We also had the Kevlar
tyres fitted.

We take the bikes in their own-brand bags, (we had looked at others, but
still thought the B bag was best) in a side locker in the M/home and they
really fold down well. It does not take long to learn how to fold and build
up again. The chap in the shop reckons outwith the London area , if you
leave them chained up in the semi-folded position no-one will steal them as
the thieve thinks they are "broken".

We have looked at lots of other makes at shows etc, but are very happy about
our choice.

Stewart

.

Old August 14th 03, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Chilly

gill107 wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

I have a Dawes Metropolis in virtually as new condition. My wife bought

it
then only used it a couple of times. It has lived on top of a chest of
drawers in our spare bedroom for the past couple of years.

Bill

---------------------------
Hi Bill

I can find little information on the Dawes Metropolis on the net.
Have you any information regarding the spec. that you can pass on.
We are particularly interested in ease of folding, the dimensions after
folding, the weight, gears (if any) and does it have a bag to live in when
folded?

Also, if I can be rude, why has it spent the last couple of years on top

of
a chest of drawers. Did it not come up to expectations\\/

It is a bit bigger than a Brompton, but better equipped. There's no point
in going into great detail as you have decided on a Brompton, and nothing
but a Brompton will do!

My wife started HRT, developed a major blood clot, and nearly lost her leg.
She was lucky to "only" lose about 50% of the use of it. She also has
polymyalgia. Riding a bike is almost impossible for her now.

I will probably put the Dawes on Ebay.

Bill