12v Power Supply For LCD TV

Old August 22nd 03, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
steve

Default 12v Power Supply For LCD TV

I've just bought a Philips 15" Lcd Tv for the camper. The 240v to 12v power
supply that comes with it reads 12.1v on my meter (benkson). I want to be
able to connect it directly to the vans 12v supply. Does anyone know of a
readily available device to regulate the supply at 12v as I'm not to happy
about shoving almost 14v up its backside.

Steve

Old August 22nd 03, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"steve" wrote in message
I've just bought a Philips 15" Lcd Tv for the camper. The 240v to 12v

power
supply that comes with it reads 12.1v on my meter (benkson). I want to be
able to connect it directly to the vans 12v supply. Does anyone know of a
readily available device to regulate the supply at 12v as I'm not to happy
about shoving almost 14v up its backside.

Maplins used to sell a voltage regulator kit for about a fiver, i havent
seen it on their shelfs for a while now, but they may be able to get them
ordered in (i found that when i bought their inteligent split charger kit,
it had been discontinued in the shops for 2 years, but head office would
still order them in for you if you asked)

I use one of the voltage regulator kits to power a camera i'm using for a
reversing aid, it needs no more than 10 volts, (one ofthose that are
advertised as running off a 9 volt battery on ebay) it's just a small kit, a
few transistors, capacitors and resistors, plus a resistor of your choice to
regulate the current, and a variable resistor to adjust the voltage, i
adjusted mine to give out 9 volts, and i've put from 11.8 to 14.4 volts into
the regulator, and only 9 volts comes out,

That's the first thing i can think of, you have to be able to solder to
build it, maplins prolly sell a ready built version for a few quid more, but
i'll be using one for my lct TV when it goes in the van (not even started
building hte van yet, waiting for the 21st of novemeber for the body to be
built, then i can fit it out, and add all this stuff i've been amassing for
the past few months)

Old August 22nd 03, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mr Mark

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:16:10 +0100, "steve"
wrote:

I've just bought a Philips 15" Lcd Tv for the camper. The 240v to 12v power
supply that comes with it reads 12.1v on my meter (benkson). I want to be
able to connect it directly to the vans 12v supply. Does anyone know of a
readily available device to regulate the supply at 12v as I'm not to happy
about shoving almost 14v up its backside.

Steve

Its not unusual for 12V in, to mean 12V-15V or even 10.5V-18V. Before
you try this let me have a model number for the TV, and I will try and
find out.
Old August 23rd 03, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"steve" wrote in message
I've just bought a Philips 15" Lcd Tv for the camper. The 240v to 12v

power
supply that comes with it reads 12.1v on my meter (benkson). I want to be
able to connect it directly to the vans 12v supply.

If you used an inverter from camper 12v to 240 ( actually I think were 230
now?) then plugged it in via a 12v transformer. Would that work??? Or
would it still give a too variable out put???

)

Old August 23rd 03, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"Hilary" wrote in message

"steve" wrote in message
I've just bought a Philips 15" Lcd Tv for the camper. The 240v to 12v

power
supply that comes with it reads 12.1v on my meter (benkson). I want to

be
able to connect it directly to the vans 12v supply.

If you used an inverter from camper 12v to 240 ( actually I think were 230
now?) then plugged it in via a 12v transformer. Would that work??? Or
would it still give a too variable out put???

)

it'd work, but you'd have to run the generator to re-charge the batteries
while you use the inverter to prevent the inverter shutting down just before
the end of corrie due to low voltage

Old August 25th 03, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Knut Grøneng

If you read the spec of the TV it may use from 10V to about 20V so it is
safe to hook it directly to the battery.
I have one myself that has lived happy on the batteries in the living part
of my hotorhome, even with a heavy charging from solar panels.

Knut

"steve" skrev i melding