A-Class Safety?

Old August 24th 03, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jonathan Marten

Default A-Class Safety?

Hello all,

Still considering our first purchase, although the short list is now
considerably shorter!

One of the options we are considering is an A-class; I'm not sure if
this is the norm, but the model[*] that we have in mind has only a
driver's side door for the cab. I'm not too worried about this
myself, but my partner is concerned that there may be safety problems
with not having a passenger door, mainly not being able to get out in
the event of an accident (especially if overturned). IMHO the absence
of door may even be an advantage; one less separate assembly to create
creaks and rattles, and more secure being one less entry point for
possible breakins.

I've tried reassuring her that this is nothing worth worrying about,
having done some research (a web search on "motorhome accident
overturn" or similar keywords returns no significant hits).

Does anyone know if there is any information in A-class safety (or,
hopefully not, the lack of it) that I can show or point her to - after
all, there must be thousands of motorcaravanners driving round in
integral vehicles with only one door every day, in complete safety...

Many thaks for anything...

Jonathan
"Anything For a Quiet Life"
[*] LHD Autostar Aryal. To avoid any ambiguity, this means steering
wheel and driver's cab door on the left, passenger seat and rear
accomodation door on the right. I could never remember "offside" and
"nearside"!

--
Jonathan Marten work:
http://www.keelhaul.demon.co.uk/ play:
Old August 24th 03, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy Clarke

On 24 Aug 2003 08:00:38 +0100, Jonathan Marten wrote:

Hello all,

Still considering our first purchase, although the short list is now
considerably shorter!

One of the options we are considering is an A-class; I'm not sure if
this is the norm, but the model[*] that we have in mind has only a
driver's side door for the cab. I'm not too worried about this
myself, but my partner is concerned that there may be safety problems
with not having a passenger door, mainly not being able to get out in
the event of an accident (especially if overturned).

snip

I suspect that the number of serious accidents involving motorhomes is so
low that there are no statistics recorded.

We drive an old A class (FFB660) and it has have a driver's door and
accommodation door. I think it's pretty safe - there is after all a door
on each side, I wouldn't want an A class that didn't have a driver's door
fitted.

The Autostar Aryal is certainly a well built motorhome, MMM had an Aryal
9 on test some time ago, and we also have a brief review on our site.

--
Andy Clarke

www.UKMotorhomes.net - The UK Motorhome Website - articles, free classifieds, etc