VW transporter oil

Old August 27th 03, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Martin Warwick

Default VW transporter oil

Hi,
anyone know what the best oil to use in a E reg petrol, water cooled
transporter. I have heard rumours that the engine is susceptible to blowing
up with the wrong oil. Your comments please.
Martin

Old August 27th 03, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CJ

"Martin Warwick" wrote in message
Hi,
anyone know what the best oil to use in a E reg petrol, water cooled
transporter. I have heard rumours that the engine is susceptible to

blowing
up with the wrong oil. Your comments please.
Martin

If you're talking about the old rear engined flat-4, they are prone to
blowing up if you use the wrong water - more specifically it is essential
that you use the right concentration of the right VW antifreeze, otherwise
the cylinder head studs corrode and eventually fail.

My old machine happily got to 100,000 by the time I sold it without engine
problems. The oil was changed religiously as per service intervals. On the
advice of my VW garage I used a semi-synthetic oil over that period.

CJ

Old September 2nd 03, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
T P

"Martin Warwick" wrote:

Hi,
anyone know what the best oil to use in a E reg petrol, water cooled
transporter. I have heard rumours that the engine is susceptible to blowing
up with the wrong oil. Your comments please.

The 1.9 or 2.1 litre water-cooled flat four engine is tolerant of
several different types of oil. However, it was designed long before
the days of today's ultra-low viscosity synthetic oils so they are
probably not the best choice. Many owners of these Type 25 VWs use
VW's own Quantum semi-synthetic oil with apparently good results.

What you may have heard is that the engine is extremely susceptible to
blowing up in spectacular fashion if the wrong coolant is used. You
should either use VW's own coolant or a quality brand of
phosphate-free coolant. If the coolant contains phosphate the studs
that hold the engine together suffer corrosion that can and does
result in sudden and catastrophic engine failures.

To avoid such problems, it is vital that you use the right coolant and
completely change it for new coolant at least every two years,
preferably annually.