Tyre Pressures

Old August 31st 03, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Steve H

Default Tyre Pressures

Question
My McLouis 432 states (on the door pillar) that the tyre pressures should be
72.5psi.
My previous motorhome - Granduca 56 - stated that the tyre pressure should
be 80psi - both on Michelin camping tyres.
Some time go when I spoke to my local tyre supplier he said that 80psi was
far too high - something around 60psi was more suitable.
Any ideas as to what pressure the McLouis should be.
I would note that the tyres were 60psi when I bought it.

Steve

Old September 1st 03, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mark[_12_]

Steve

Not sure if this will help you but I asked a Peugeot representative at
the AutoSleepers rally the other month what the pressure should be
on a Pollensa on a Peugeot 1.9td. He said they should be what they
say in the door pillar as the pressure's there are set by the manufacturer.

HTH's
Mark

.. .

Old September 3rd 03, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"Steve H" wrote in message
.. .
Question
My McLouis 432 states (on the door pillar) that the tyre pressures should

be
72.5psi.
My previous motorhome - Granduca 56 - stated that the tyre pressure should
be 80psi - both on Michelin camping tyres.
Some time go when I spoke to my local tyre supplier he said that 80psi was
far too high - something around 60psi was more suitable.
Any ideas as to what pressure the McLouis should be.
I would note that the tyres were 60psi when I bought it.

Steve

Steve,

my previous van (also on Michelin Camping) used to ride rather hard at the
pressures quoted on the door pillar.

I saw various articles implying that vehicle manufacturers were quoting
absolute maxima, and that tyre manufacturers, if quoted actual axle weights,
would often endorse much lower pressures (with a consequent improvement in
ride).

To get the best result, you would need to get the van weighed in normal
runnnig order (front and rear axle) and then get the appropriate presures
for each axle.

To test the system, however, I emailed Michelin (via their site and contact
address) with the max front and rear axle loading from the VIN plate (which
of course one should not exceed anyway - and if you add them together, they
will exceed the GVW anyway, so at least one of them should carry a lighter
load in use) and asked them to recommend tyre pressures for these loadings.

In both cases, the recommended pressures from Michelin were considerably
lower (in my memory, around 10 psi) than those quoted by the vehicle
manufacturer, regardless of the fact that these represented the maximum
legal loadings on the respective axles. this would be consistent with the
advice you've had.

I could have forwarded the email, but having changed vans I've deleted it,
and have yet to go through the same process with my new van (which though
still on Michelin Camping, are bigger tyres).

You might like to try the same route for a definitive answer.

Bob
Spam blocking in force. Remove nobumf from address to reply