merc 308

Old September 13th 03, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
rich

Default merc 308

could anyone tell me if the head gaskets are prone on these vans as i
am thinking of buying one to convert ,also any other engine/bodywork advice
would be very nice to hear

Old September 17th 03, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Hanson

I've just bought a 22 year old hymer on a merc 308. There's nowt rusty or
corroded anywhere.

Old September 17th 03, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
T P

"rich" wrote:

could anyone tell me if the head gaskets are prone on these vans as i
am thinking of buying one to convert ,also any other engine/bodywork advice
would be very nice to hear

The weak points on the bodywork include the doors and the panel
underneath the windscreen. The chassis is very sound as long as it
has not been damaged.

The Diesel engines are remarkably robust and I don't believe that they
are prone to gasket failure, however I have no knowledge of the petrol
engines. As always, try to find one with a full service history as
not even a Mercedes will survive long term neglect.