Demountables

Old September 15th 03, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Kev

Default Demountables

I would like to change from a caravan and am thinking about wether a
demountable might be a good compromise between caravan and motorhome.
I have never meet anybody on site with one and its is a bit concerning that
there are seemingly so few around.
Anybody out there ever owned one or can pass on any comments, good or bad
about them.

TIA

Kev

Old September 16th 03, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
NJF

Kev wrote:

I would like to change from a caravan and am thinking about wether a
demountable might be a good compromise between caravan and motorhome.

Anybody out there ever owned one or can pass on any comments, good or bad
about them.

On the right base they seem OK, but most "life-style" 5 seat pick-ups have soft
comfort suspenders and pitch/roll very badly.
Think very carefully about what you want to mount it on first, 130" wheel base
land-rover with H/D suspenders or 110 hi-cap l/r being quite stable, but basic,
or soft jap, comfortable but less stable...
Unless you want a roma on a suzi...

Niel.

Old September 16th 03, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paul

"Kev" wrote in message
I would like to change from a caravan and am thinking about wether a
demountable might be a good compromise between caravan and motorhome.
I have never meet anybody on site with one and its is a bit concerning

that
there are seemingly so few around.
Anybody out there ever owned one or can pass on any comments, good or bad
about them.

TIA

Kev

A friend of mine has one, a Six Pac from the States and carries it on a
Isusu pickup.

It is quite small inside but has everything as in a caravan, even air
cooling for summer.

It seems to be an effort to load/unload you need a second person to guide
you back. I think they score over campers in that you can get to site
unload the camper part, set up then drive off into town in an ordinary sized
vehicle.

Cost wise I think you get better value for money with a caravan. Check out
some of these pickups themselves, I personally could sit for long in most as
they seem to have got the seat height versus the floor wrong, its like
sitting in a sports car with your legs straight out. The back seat area
seem very cramped and how many times have I opened the rear passenger door
and its swung straight back into me. They don't open very wide and the door
is much shorter than normal.

At Duss caravan show there were a few on display. The one my friend has is
narrow to fit between the wheel arches in the load bed then over hangs
higher up, this limits floor area. The new trend seems to be remove the
pickup back part from the truck and fit a flat chequer plate. The camper
sits on this plate so is not restricted in width ( and a lot easier to mount
I guess). When you get home the pick up part is then mounted on the plate.

You do see these in Dutch campsites quite a bit.

The legs for lifting, then lowering to the ground can be hand cranked,
hydraulic hand pumped or electric depends on the pocket I guess.

He has made a trolley that he lowers it down onto at home then it can be
pushed round the yard.

Paul

Old September 16th 03, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Smith

i myself have been looking as I fancy one in the future. As said previously
they are quite small in the seating area but have a large bed over the twin
cab of the pickup.
New, the body is around 11000.
I'll send you some contacts and other info by email that may be helpful
Dave

Old September 16th 03, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy

Contact David Elliott at Wellhouse Leisure for details of German built
Tischer demountables.

www.wellhouseleisure.com

Old September 18th 03, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Kev

Thanks for all your replies and help, some good points on the pick-ups that
I had not considered and will look carefully at them. I do like the look of
the Tischer models from Wellhouse leisure.

Kev