Self-tuning TV set for travelling?

Old September 18th 03, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.rec.motorcaravans
grimmy

Default Self-tuning TV set for travelling?

Does anyone know if you can buy self-tuning TVs with something similar
to RDS?

Basically after something that will let us watch TV whilst travelling
along, and retune from transmitter to transmitter whilst going along.
Is such a telly even technically possible, and if so does it exist in
practice?

Any other motor carvanners watch the TV whilst travelling? Obviously
reception will vary, but what's the coverage like on the motorway
networks etc. Presumably we will need a good quality omni directional
aerial. Do you get much interfence from other vechicles electrics,
ghosting off the side of lorries etc?

thanks

paul
Old September 18th 03, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy

"grimmy" wrote in message
Does anyone know if you can buy self-tuning TVs with something similar
to RDS?

Basically after something that will let us watch TV whilst travelling
along

Do you get much interfence from other vechicles electrics,
ghosting off the side of lorries etc?

The siren and blue lights when you're being nicked do tend to play havoc
with the vertical hold....

Sorry, just couldn't resist it ;)

Old September 18th 03, 08:02 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Martin Underwood

"Dave Hardy" wrote in message

"grimmy" wrote in message
Does anyone know if you can buy self-tuning TVs with something similar
to RDS?

Basically after something that will let us watch TV whilst travelling
along

Do you get much interfence from other vechicles electrics,
ghosting off the side of lorries etc?

The siren and blue lights when you're being nicked do tend to play havoc
with the vertical hold....

Sorry, just couldn't resist it ;)

What is the exact rule about TV screens in cars these days. I know at one
time it said that the screen must be positioned so the driver can't see it
(which really means that it must be in the back) and that the only control
that the driver is allowed to be able to reach is the volume.

But I gather that the rule had to be relaxed a bit because as it was
originally worded it would have prohibited those multi-purpose diagrams that
show which car doors are open and also would have prohibited satellite
navigation screens.

Presumably the new rules allows displays that are relevant to
driving/navigation but still prohibits entertainment screens.

Old September 18th 03, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , grimmy
writes

Basically after something that will let us watch TV whilst travelling
along, and retune from transmitter to transmitter whilst going along. Is
such a telly even technically possible, and if so does it exist in
practice?

(not aware of this sort of sophistication)

There is a Panasonic TX-G10 which is designed for boats/MHs C'vans etc -
it is PAL/SECAM and 130V and 12V (expensive), and, with menu (manual)
remote control commands, will retune (auto) to nearest stations. This is
only when it is commanded to though (about 4 key strokes).

Note though, that many cheap tv's will Auto tune on command anyway. TV's
for houses might not have quite such good low signal ability - possibly
- not sure how much that costs.

Any other motor carvanners watch the TV whilst travelling?

I take it you mean passengers only....? I think it is illegal to install
a tv in front of the drivers view line - in cars they are visible from
the back seats

Obviously
reception will vary, but what's the coverage like on the motorway
networks etc. Presumably we will need a good quality omni directional
aerial.

omni aerials are usually low gain, and you may be a bit disappointed
even with a good amplifier

Do you get much interfence from other vechicles electrics,
ghosting off the side of lorries etc?

Do not know, but very likely. You may want to have a front of set
earphone socket too, so the driver is not disturbed.

--
Alan Cocks Berkshire UK
Old September 19th 03, 10:15 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Helgina Koosmaen

If a journey ever got to such a level of boredom when I was younger, a good
game of I-spy seemed to help.

Surely a holiday or journey is a good excuse to get away from the monotony
of television for a while?

I would imagine the constant re-tuning of a set and interference while
going in and out of good and bad reception spots would soon put the dampers
on such a luxury.

How about DVD or Video?

Helly.
Old September 20th 03, 02:10 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.rec.motorcaravans
steve

Save your money and time, buy a playstation 2 then you can either play a
game or watch a dvd while your travelling and the picture will always be
perfect. Keep any TV out of drivers sight or you could be nicked.

Steve

PS 2000 will buy a fully automatic tracking satellite dish

Old September 21st 03, 09:42 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.rec.motorcaravans
grimmy

Helgina Koosmaen wrote in message ...
If a journey ever got to such a level of boredom when I was younger, a good
game of I-spy seemed to help.

We are all just a little old for that!

Surely a holiday or journey is a good excuse to get away from the monotony
of television for a while?

TV is a good way of escaping the monotony of a long journey!

I would imagine the constant re-tuning of a set

Well that was what we were hoping to avoid with a RDS-type goggle box!
Doesn't look like it's possible though

S'pose I could plan each route in advance on www.wolfbane.com,
programming our first transmitter in preset 1, second in preset 2 etc

Dammned if I'm doing that for all 5 channels though....

and interference while
going in and out of good and bad reception spots would soon put the dampers
on such a luxury.

How about DVD or Video?

We've got a video player. Just though it was worth asking, since we
need another telly anyway.....
Old October 3rd 03, 10:15 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.rec.motorcaravans
icarusi

AC wrote in message

Note though, that many cheap tv's will Auto tune on command anyway.

TV's
for houses might not have quite such good low signal ability -

possibly
- not sure how much that costs.

Those tiny 10" jobbies have an autotune which loops around the band,
showing an on-screen bargraph til it locks on to a station. Mine works
that option from the front panel. The old Goodmans badged version
didn't have very robust switched mode PSU but the 12v supply route is
after that PSU, so they work OK with the PSU removed (and weigh a bit
less too). The static and flutter are quite noisy though. I used mine
occasionally for the audio on a long trip, via a tape player audio
adapter.

Icarusi
--
remove the 00 to reply