YORK SHOW

Old September 22nd 03, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AH[_2_]

Default YORK SHOW

It is always easy to criticise but the organisers of this year's show at
York leave themselves wideopen for criticism.

From arriving to leaving it was obvious that little thought or effort had
gone into the logistics of the event, both inside and outside the actual
ground.

At this point I have to say I was only a day visitor and maybe the evening
socials were superb, but for visitors who came to "get into" motorhoming it
must have seemed that we are a fairly pathetic bunch.

It didnt appear that any thought had gone into parking so there was
cars/mtorhomes/vehicles parked on both sides of the road entering the event
making it impossible for visitors arriving and those leaving on Sunday
lunchtime to pass resulting in huge queues, once you got parked you were
faced with two little kiosks open (there were plenty that were closed)
taking money, again resulting in long queues. It took me an hour from
arriving at the road leading to York racecourse to get into the ground. I am
sure many will have been put off, if not this year maybe next.

Once inside the layout was haphazard to say the least, and the guide book
left so much to be desired its not worth getting into it.

I look forward to hearing others views.

Old September 22nd 03, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Digweed .. \)

AH tried to scribble ...

I look forward to hearing others views.

Waste of time IMHO ...

--
Digweed
'79 Beamish RL 250, '85 Swift Corvette, '88 Ford Escort 1.6 Ghia,

Old September 22nd 03, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Niall

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:52:02 +0100, "AH" wrote:

It didnt appear that any thought had gone into parking so there was
cars/mtorhomes/vehicles parked on both sides of the road entering the event
making it impossible for visitors arriving and those leaving on Sunday
lunchtime to pass resulting in huge queues,

I didn't go this year but from previous years IIRC the parking along
the sides of the access road has nothing to do with the show
organisation as such, consisting of those who are unwilling to pay for
car parking, although from your description below it would seem the
car parks were free, the short arms / deep pockets brigade probably
didn't realise that, which must have ****ed them off plenty at the
gate :-)
I imagine parking on the road is outwith the control of the show
organisers, they would need to jump through the appropriate police /
council hoops to get a temporary parking restriction.

once you got parked you were
faced with two little kiosks open (there were plenty that were closed)
taking money, again resulting in long queues.

This appears to be compulsory for UK event organisers. There must be a
handbook circulating with the rules in:

Have as few ticket kiosks as possible.
If you must have several kiosks, ensure that as few as possible are
manned at any time.
Make sure that all kiosks have a wholly inadequate supply of tickets,
change and anything else they might be called upon to dispense.
Under no circumstances should prices, concessions policy, opening
times or any other information be displayed. If displaying such
information is unavoidable, it should be in a typeface so small as to
be unreadable by anyone more than one back in the queue.

The basic premise is the famous British love of queueing without which
no public gathering is deemed to be complete.

It's like public buildings designed with an array of entrance doors;
the first action of the staff on taking over the building is to firmly
lock all but one, leaving no indication which it is.

--
Niall
Old September 23rd 03, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
T P

Niall wrote:

I didn't go this year but from previous years IIRC the parking along
the sides of the access road has nothing to do with the show
organisation as such, consisting of those who are unwilling to pay for
car parking, although from your description below it would seem the
car parks were free

The car parking along the sides of the access road is perfectly legal,
because much of the road is free of yellow lines. People park there
to escape the long wait to exit the car park, and who can blame them?

Apart from the long wait to exit, I thought the show was very good
indeed. One advantage of the outdoor setting over shows at the NEC,
Earls Court etc. is that the motorhomes can be seen as they really
are, rather than being surrounded by the glossy presentation of
manufacturers' stands. I found it much easier to compare layouts and
details when every motorhome I looked at was merely parked on grass in
daylight rather than surrounded by glitzy chrome and flashy stands.

I would go again next year without hesitation, although I must admit I
might be one of those who choose to park on the access road and save
about 40 minutes on my journey home ...

;-)

Old September 23rd 03, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AH[_2_]

I realise that the parking on the access road is perfectly legal but that
unfortunately doesnt make it sensible from a perspective of keeping traffic
flowing.

I have just heard this morning that locally (to York) there has been some
serious criticism regarding the show and access, congestion etc. Bad press
is something motorhomers can do without (so far I have only heard Jeremy
Clarkson and crew banging the drum about caravans !!). Aparently the press
are saying that there were far too many vehicles for the size of the
showground, I would have thought that a good days racing at York attracted
far more vehicles but maybe it is better organised ?

if the organisers liaised with the police I am sure that parking on the
access road could be prevented and with some good traffic marshalling there
is no reason why traffic shouldnt flow quite freely. There may be some
reluctance to pay for traffic police etc but it would certainly help for
future events.

Old September 23rd 03, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Niall

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:52:29 +0100, T P wrote:

The car parking along the sides of the access road is perfectly legal,

Merely inconsiderate, if to do so would reduce the road to one lane.

because much of the road is free of yellow lines. People park there
to escape the long wait to exit the car park, and who can blame them?

If they didn't park along the exit road the exit delays would be
considerably reduced. But hey, who cares about *other* people?

I would go again next year without hesitation, although I must admit I
might be one of those who choose to park on the access road and save
about 40 minutes on my journey home ...

I go to a fair number of outdoor shows of one kind or another, and
find that if you simply avoid the lemming like rush for the exits
around closing time, you can leave without problems. One of the
benefits of a motorcaravan is that even if the catering outlets have
closed (there are usually some which remain open for traders and
campers) you can brew up or have an evening meal while waiting for the
rush to abate.
At one steam rally it was obvious that the queues would take a *long*
time to clear (it was one of the few rallies not cancelled that year
due to FMD), so we enquired of the organisers if we could move to the
public campsite and stay overnight. This wasn't possible due to lack
of space but they said we were welcome to overnight in the car park.
Several others did the same.

--
Niall

Old September 24th 03, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Doug

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:52:02 +0100, "AH" wrote:

It is always easy to criticise but the organisers of this year's show at
York leave themselves wideopen for criticism.

From arriving to leaving it was obvious that little thought or effort had
[...]

The organisers have to work within the constraints of the local
roads/infrastructure/site. They don't have control over the access
roads but they did liase closely with the police. Many announcements
were made warning those that had parked there that the police had
asked them to move them immediately. There are other entrances/exits
to the racecourse but these weren't opened as I understand it because
of the size of the vehicles attending. Mind you having seen a
substantial bollard taken out by someone coming in the exhibitors
entrance I'm not surprised.
We dismantled our stand when the show finished and by 6 o'clock the
queue to get out had disappeared. We then stayed on til Monday morning
only to find hundreds of motorhomes doing exactly the same! Even so,
we were on the main road within 20 minutes.
As far as buying tickets at the gate experience has taught me not to
do it! I remember queueing for 45 minutes to get into the boat show.
At the end of the day went back to the car park to find it had turned
into a mudbath. Given the amount of rain over the show at least we
didn't have that to contend with.
Didn't go to any of the shows but the beer tent was first class. On
the Friday they even had a harpist in there! All in all I thought it
was a pretty good show.
Old September 25th 03, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gerry Davey

I was one of the thousands who paid for camping and have to say that I
thought the show was very good.

HOWEVER!!, there was no thought given to the safety of those camping. The
units were far too close together for safety, even if you ignore normal club
rules you do expect there to be a clear roadway between lines of units.

I would go again but would prefer safety to be a ptiority over profit.

Gerry

"AH" wrote in message
It is always easy to criticise but the organisers of this year's show at
York leave themselves wideopen for criticism.

From arriving to leaving it was obvious that little thought or effort had