Solar cells

Old September 25th 03, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Webb[_2_]

Default Solar cells

Anyone any experience of installing solar cells. I was thnking of one of the
semi rigid ones bonded directly on the motor caravan roof but I was told by
one supplier that is wrong as they can get so hot they damage the roof.
Hence, an air gap is needed. Others say it is OK. Any views please.

--

J T Webb

Old September 25th 03, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
QrizB

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:54:27 +0100, "John Webb"
wrote:

Anyone any experience of installing solar cells. I was thnking of one of the
semi rigid ones bonded directly on the motor caravan roof but I was told by
one supplier that is wrong as they can get so hot they damage the roof.
Hence, an air gap is needed. Others say it is OK. Any views please.

Based on my experience of using them while boating, solar cells need
to be "pointed" in the direction of the sun in order to achieve any
more than ~30% of their rated output. I wouldn't be inclined to bolt
them to the roof of a motorhome, with or without an air gap, unless I
was planning on only using it at low latitudes where the sun spends an
appreciable amount of time directly overhead.

--
QrizB

be fooled.