Air Suspension

Old September 26th 03, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Alan Penny

Default Air Suspension

I'm thinking of increasing the payload of my camper and one option (the most
expensive) is to have air suspension fitted. Has anyone any experience of
this good or bad.

Thanks,

Alan.

Old September 27th 03, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Robin Dumpleton

It's brill but does not increase payload, only ride levelling, comfort and
handling.
Payload is set by the maximum chassis weight. With Sevels this can be modded
by brake, steel spring and wheel upgrades. Talk to SV Tech at Leyland in
Lancs who will suppply the engineering.

Robin

Old September 27th 03, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RADIOTWO

Hi Alan,
I have not got a motorcaravan, but have had air suspension fitted to my
sprinter panel van, and it made such a difference to both the handling and
when goods are carried.

but as another post mentioned, you can only carry more weight if the vehicle
is replated

Steve.

Old September 27th 03, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CJ

"Alan Penny" wrote in message
I'm thinking of increasing the payload of my camper and one option (the

most
expensive) is to have air suspension fitted. Has anyone any experience

of
this good or bad.

Thanks,

Alan.

Another Sprinter, but mine is a camper - La Strada Regent L. I can't give a
before and after, but in the case of mine it was fitted by the manufacturers
in Germany, and the max gross weight is upgraded as a part of the conversion
with a bunch of paperwork, as you'd expect from the Germans. Body control
on bumpy roads is no great shakes by car standards (makes a hell of a noise
when it takes off), but stability is excellent, and the back sits good and
high whatever we put in and on the van.

Cliff

---

Old September 28th 03, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"Alan Penny" wrote in message
I'm thinking of increasing the payload of my camper and one option (the

most
expensive) is to have air suspension fitted. Has anyone any experience of
this good or bad.

Thanks,

Alan.

It came fitted on our second hand Hymer B544. The ride is terribly bouncy
without it pumped up, but much better with minimal pressure. But then the
rubber helper springs have been removed as part of the conversion. Even so
the ride is a long way short of car standard. No effect on payload at all,
it just improves ride and levelling. The van handles very well so I suppose
the air springs help that. I have also used it to level transversely on site
as each air spring has its own adjustable valve - only needed when the slope
exceeds what can be achieved with the plastic wedges under the wheels.