Passengers in the back of motorcaravan

Old October 5th 03, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ed[_2_]

Default Passengers in the back of motorcaravan

I am thinking of buying a Hymer 534 (U shape seating in the rear) next year,
I was wondering what the legal position is regarding passengers travelling
in the back without seat belts both here & on the continent.

Ed

Old October 6th 03, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Ed" wrote in message
.. .
I am thinking of buying a Hymer 534 (U shape seating in the rear) next

year,
I was wondering what the legal position is regarding passengers travelling
in the back without seat belts both here & on the continent.

If you look at the Hymer website it'll state the approved number of seats
(at least it did for mine).

Rgds

Andy R

Old October 6th 03, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Miller

Ed

I can't speak for "the continent" (I guess it will depend on the
country), but I understand that in Britain there is no requirement to
have seatbelts in the rear of a motorhome, and that even without seat
belts passengers may travel in the rear. (Where they ARE fitted,
though, they must be worn).

Incidentally, if you do regularly carry rear passengers, you might
prefer the Hymer 544 layout (4-seat diner opposite "sofa"), not only
because some of the diner seats usually have seatbelts, but because
the passengers will then be closer to those in front, and can join in
the conversation.

Dave
Old October 6th 03, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"David Miller" wrote in message
om...
Ed

I can't speak for "the continent" (I guess it will depend on the
country), but I understand that in Britain there is no requirement to
have seatbelts in the rear of a motorhome, and that even without seat
belts passengers may travel in the rear. (Where they ARE fitted,
though, they must be worn).

Incidentally, if you do regularly carry rear passengers, you might
prefer the Hymer 544 layout (4-seat diner opposite "sofa"), not only
because some of the diner seats usually have seatbelts, but because
the passengers will then be closer to those in front, and can join in
the conversation.

Dave

Yes the 544 layout is much better. Actually it's a 5-seat diner as there's a
table extension which reaches to the sofa.. There are as standard 2 3-point
belts in the back and 2 lap belts. However I have welded up and installed a
mounting frame for a third 3-point belt. It is bolted to the cab seat
mounting on the floor, to the existing steel frame under the diner seat, and
to the existing top belt mounting point on the wall. Thus we can carry 5,
all properly belted in.

Old October 6th 03, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gerry[_2_]

Hi,

The subject of rear seat passengers is not clear. Legally you can carry any
amount of passengers without seatbelts, but where seatbelts are fitted they
must be used.

The major factor is insurance. Caravan Guard will cover any number of
passengers as can seat comfortably, but I have heard of others who will only
cover belted passengers or only up to the maximum number of berths. And then
some who apply this rule but say whichever of the two is the lowest number.

Your only safe answer is to consult your insurers and then insist that they
put their answer in writing so that you always have it to hand in case of
any dispute.

Regards,

Gerry

.. .

Old October 6th 03, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy

Ed

I think the issue is more about how you belt everyone up properly rather
than whether you legally need to.

Apart from the welfare of your passengers, just think of them as 5 ton
elephants smashing into the back of your seat at 50mph when the accident
happens..............

"Gerry" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old October 6th 03, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ed[_2_]

Thanks for all your replies, we originally were looking at the B544 or even
the 584, one of the reasons was there are probably more of them about. We
did prefer the layout of the 534 with the all round view at the back it seem
to be much brighter. It will mainly be just me & the wife, but there might
be occasions when we might have others travelling with us. Looking at a old
Hymer brochure (the B534 is out of production) it does give the passengers
as 4, but there doesn't seem to be any easy way to fit seat belts in the
rear.

We are not looking to buy until January next year so we still haven't
finally decided which one to get, price might be the deciding factor in
making the final choice;-)

Ed

Old October 7th 03, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
HH

Good Luck with whatever purchase you make, but PLEASE don't ever travel with
an unbelted passenger in the rear - whatever the Law says.

You might survive an impact but to explain to the relatives of a dead
passenger that s/he was unbelted and would have flown about inside a
motorcaravan full of projections and met a horrid death would be one of the
worst things any driver would ever have to do.

Whatever the implications of a decision to allow only belted passengers in
the rear, it has to be the only decision for any sane and responsible
owner/driver.

HH

.. .

Old October 8th 03, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
g.caffrey5

Rear facing and side seated passengers don't need seatbelts. Forward facing
passengers do. You can only take as many passengers as there are seats. You
can not load up a vehicle with as many people as you want. If you fix after
market belt where there were none you'll need an engineers report for your
insurance confirming they won't break free etc. Due to it being a
modification. And in the ****ty event that an accident occured and someone
tries to sue your insurance company it would be a get out for the insurer.
It would also throw a spanner in the works if the person who used the belt
is injured and tries to claim against the policy.

The general train of thought will be that if you can cart as many people
about in the rear as you feel then you will tend to go over the prescribed
carrying capacity.

This in turn will lead you to using the vehicle for other things as well as
your trips. Insurers then become unhappy bunnies.

Cheers Gary
"HH" wrote in message
Good Luck with whatever purchase you make, but PLEASE don't ever travel

with
an unbelted passenger in the rear - whatever the Law says.

You might survive an impact but to explain to the relatives of a dead
passenger that s/he was unbelted and would have flown about inside a
motorcaravan full of projections and met a horrid death would be one of

the
worst things any driver would ever have to do.

Whatever the implications of a decision to allow only belted passengers in
the rear, it has to be the only decision for any sane and responsible
owner/driver.

HH

.. .