Camper van owners

Old October 27th 03, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
sam broadbent

Default Camper van owners

I am Studying Industrial design at Loughborough University.
For my major project I am designing a Kitchen unit for a camper van.

Please could you take a few minutes to fill in my survey It would be great to get some user insights.

www.chrisbonwick.co.uk/question

Thanks

Chris Bonwick
Old October 31st 03, 02:39 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bill[_5_]

So where is this form?
Where there is no television, the people perish.
- adapted from Proverbs xxix. 18.
Old October 31st 03, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Niall

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 05:38:58 GMT, riccip
wrote:

His idea is for a stand alone removable kitchen unit which is ok
but it's been done before many times. They've been around since
the early 70's, even fitted as standard equipment by some major
camper manufacturers. Reimo currently sells one. If he could
design a stand alone fold-away shower unit then he'd be on to a
winner. I'm surprised we can't get them here in England.

If it's removeable to use the vehicle as a van I wonder if he realises
this will sell practically none due to the cost of insuring a van
(which is what such a vehicle would be regarded as) compared to the
cost of motorcaravan insurance.

--
Niall
Old November 1st 03, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy

wrote:

His idea is for a stand alone removable kitchen unit which is ok
but it's been done before many times. They've been around since
the early 70's, even fitted as standard equipment by some major
camper manufacturers. Reimo currently sells one. If he could
design a stand alone fold-away shower unit then he'd be on to a
winner. I'm surprised we can't get them here in England.

If it's removeable to use the vehicle as a van I wonder if he realises
this will sell practically none due to the cost of insuring a van
(which is what such a vehicle would be regarded as) compared to the
cost of motorcaravan insurance.

--
Niall

I thinks he's doing it as a design project for his University course rather
than a commercial proposition.

Dave

Old November 1st 03, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane

Niall wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

If it's removeable to use the vehicle as a van I wonder if he realises
this will sell practically none due to the cost of insuring a van
(which is what such a vehicle would be regarded as) compared to the
cost of motorcaravan insurance.

AIUI, there's a reasonable market for this sort of thing, which I've seen
described as a "Westfalia" idea (after the original camping box fitted to
VW campers). AVA Leisure now make the Autocube, which is a sink, hob, fresh
and grey water tanks, gas bottle stowage and, (I think), a coolbox built
into a portable unit. AFAIK, Wellhouse Leisure actually sell these units
for self-builders and also base some of their conversions (e.g. the Mazda
SGL "Bongo") on it. However, Autocubes are not cheap.

I should imagine that there are several van users who would like to take
their vans camping while still being able to use the van for thier
business. These have to pay for commercial insurance anyway. That said,
there is still the problem that most campsites don't allow commercial
vehicles.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old November 3rd 03, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
marcleman

Can't see what the problems are?

Mines insured for use as a van and motorhome use.

All my interior equipment is removable, except the water boiler as the flue
is a permanent fixture through the side of the van. Basically my vehicle
earns it's keep.

But...sadly I expect some one will knock it as it doesn't suit them. What's
up with everyone?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/monkley...home/start.htm

Old November 3rd 03, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane

"marcleman" wrote in news:[email protected]
win.server.ntli.net:

Can't see what the problems are?

Mines insured for use as a van and motorhome use.

There isn't a problem if you use the van commercially. However, commercial
insurance is much more expensive than for a motor caravan based on the same
vehicle. Thus, you're paying more than you need if you only want to use the
van for recreational purposes and it would be cheaper to convert the van
and reregister it as a motorhome.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK