leak on cab roof

Old October 30th 03, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
chris

Default leak on cab roof

I really need your help!. I have an Eldiss Autostratus mortorhome
which we owned for a couple of months. Now the wet weather has
arrived we've noticed a damp patch inside the cab. (Its where the
overhead bed joins the back. Ive got on the roof and it looks like
just a piece of carpet strip thats joining the two together. How do I
stop the leak? Do I take off the carpet strip and start again?
Old October 30th 03, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

chris wrote:

I really need your help!. I have an Eldiss Autostratus mortorhome
which we owned for a couple of months. Now the wet weather has
arrived we've noticed a damp patch inside the cab. (Its where the
overhead bed joins the back. Ive got on the roof and it looks like
just a piece of carpet strip thats joining the two together. How do I
stop the leak? Do I take off the carpet strip and start again?

You don't say how old your motorcaravan is and if it is under any
guarantee. If you bought it from a dealer you might want to
consult them if it's leaking after a couple of months. Don't be
surprised if they deny liability unless you stick to your guns.
This should also be covered by your consumer rights if the
vehicle is not too old.

Otherwise coachbuilt owners have to accept that water leaks can
be an ongoing problem. All vehicles twist and flex in use more
than we realise but this is more pronounced in coachbuilts due to
their construction, hence the pronounced wear and tear on seals.
Water ingress is not always obvious until it becomes visible but
with plastic coated interior panels this could take some time.
The first thing you should do is go around the inside of the
vehicle using a damp tester to find the extent of the problem.
Plasplugs do a cheapie for 15. If you're lucky it will be
confined to the area you mentioned.

Another problem is that the source of the leak could be some
distance from the area affected so it may annoyingly defy logic.
Once inside the outer skin water takes the path of least
resistance. However most leaks do originate from obvious areas,
especially skylights and joint strips where their original seals
dry out in summer heat.

From here opinions differ. If you must remove the strip heat with
a hairdryer first before careful removal then bedding it back
down in rolls of mastic seal. White spirit will help soften the
old mastic to clean up the area before refitting. However if
you've only just noticed the leak it should be fairly "new" so
from experience I would say leave the joining strip just where it
is. Scrape out as much of the seal from the edges as you can
reach, which is generally just a few millimetres, then apply new
sealant using the usual injector gun from DIY stores. The product
I would recommend is "Sealastic" which you should find fairly
easily. If not visit a camping/caravanning centre. Some also
swear by transparent bathroom-type sealant. Use a dehumidifier to
dry out the inside if you have access to one. Otherwise a fan
heater will do but open the skylights for ventilation.

Inspect all outer seals every spring and autumn to keep on top of
future leaks. A couple of hours scraping and resealing will save
you a lot of grief.