Chipping the Ducato 2.0 JTD

Old January 3rd 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_2_]

Default Chipping the Ducato 2.0 JTD

I have asked before but have not received any response.
Has anybody had any experience of chipping their Fiat Ducato motorhome.

Steve

Old January 4th 04, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Michael Marriott

Sorry if this sounds dense, but what do you mean by "Chipping"??

Do you mean "chips" as in those gained from stones that fly off the road??
Or do you mean "Chipping" as with electronics where you want to be able to
use cheats or pirated software??

If the later, chip what??????

Why would you need to "Chip" a Ducato??? Is it stolen???

Mike.

. ..

Old January 4th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
QrizB

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:35:15 -0000, "Michael Marriott"
wrote:

Sorry if this sounds dense, but what do you mean by "Chipping"??

Do you mean "chips" as in those gained from stones that fly off the road??
Or do you mean "Chipping" as with electronics where you want to be able to
use cheats or pirated software??

If the later, chip what??????

Why would you need to "Chip" a Ducato??? Is it stolen???

ISTM that the OP wishes to increase the power of his diesel engine by
modifying the ECU. So, of your two options, it's the latter.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old January 4th 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_2_]

Clearly you lead a sheltered life.
Chipping a diesel means that the ECU is either replaced or enhanced to
deliver more bhp by altering the point at which the fuel is injected into
the engine. Manufacturers set diesels to an average level and not to the
optimum level for the engine.
Why would I want to do this - to increase the bhp from 86 to 105 or more.
No it isn't stolen so there is no need to worry.

"Michael Marriott" wrote in message
Sorry if this sounds dense, but what do you mean by "Chipping"??

Do you mean "chips" as in those gained from stones that fly off the road??
Or do you mean "Chipping" as with electronics where you want to be able to
use cheats or pirated software??

If the later, chip what??????

Why would you need to "Chip" a Ducato??? Is it stolen???

Mike.

. ..

Old January 4th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Elliott

Why don't people just buy a 2.8 JTD ?? could never understand why one would
buy the smaller engine and then try and extract more power why not just buy
the bigger engine in the first place. Like when people have turbo's fitted,
why not just buy the turbo engine. All what it does is create weak links
elsewhere in the engine. Ask yourself if it was worth doing why didn't
Fiat/Peugeot do it in the first place.

I have had quite a few Fiat 1.9 diesel engines in the past and the only ones
we had problams with are when they have had after market turbo's fitted.

A lot of is due to UK base vehicles being under spec, most Ducato's supplied
in Gerrmany and Europe were 2.5 diesel not 1.9TD. In fact many early 1990's
vehicles we imported were even 2.5TD when in the UK they were selling
coachbuilts with 1.9D and TD engines. Look in the back of the MMM and many
10/15 year old British built coachbuilts have smaller engines or even petrol
then look at the imports all will be 2.5d and TD.

Dave.

"SH" wrote in message
Clearly you lead a sheltered life.
Chipping a diesel means that the ECU is either replaced or enhanced to
deliver more bhp by altering the point at which the fuel is injected into
the engine. Manufacturers set diesels to an average level and not to the
optimum level for the engine.
Why would I want to do this - to increase the bhp from 86 to 105 or more.
No it isn't stolen so there is no need to worry.

"Michael Marriott" wrote in message
Sorry if this sounds dense, but what do you mean by "Chipping"??

Do you mean "chips" as in those gained from stones that fly off the

road??
Or do you mean "Chipping" as with electronics where you want to be able

use cheats or pirated software??

If the later, chip what??????

Why would you need to "Chip" a Ducato??? Is it stolen???

Mike.

. ..

Old January 4th 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_2_]

Comments below:-

Why don't people just buy a 2.8 JTD ?? could never understand why one would
buy the smaller engine and then try and extract more power why not just buy
the bigger engine in the first place.

Maybe because they could not afford the additional cost or perhaps that model / layout was not available with the bigger engine option.

Like when people have turbo's fitted,
why not just buy the turbo engine. All what it does is create weak links
elsewhere in the engine.

Ask yourself if it was worth doing why didn't
Fiat/Peugeot do it in the first place.

Cheapness of production - strange that the same engine is spec'd differently in their cars because the public demand it - the 2.0jtd used in cars / MPV's are 110bhp - increasing the Ducato to 105bhp is hardly an excessive increase.

I have had quite a few Fiat 1.9 diesel engines in the past and the only ones
we had problams with are when they have had after market turbo's fitted.

Retro fitted turbo's to a non turbo engine would cause a problem as the engine was not originally designed to have a turbo in the first place

A lot of is due to UK base vehicles being under spec

Do you mean UK built vehicles - what about the Italian manufactured imports - are you saying that they only make 1.9TD's for the UK and larger units for the rest of Europe - unlikely I've seen a fair amount of European 1.9TD's on my travels in Europe.

, most Ducato's supplied
in Gerrmany and Europe were 2.5 diesel not 1.9TD. In fact many early 1990's
vehicles we imported were even 2.5TD when in the UK they were selling
coachbuilts with 1.9D and TD engines.

It is now 2004 - thing have progressed.

"SH" wrote in message
Clearly you lead a sheltered life.
Chipping a diesel means that the ECU is either replaced or enhanced to
deliver more bhp by altering the point at which the fuel is injected into
the engine. Manufacturers set diesels to an average level and not to the
optimum level for the engine.
Why would I want to do this - to increase the bhp from 86 to 105 or more.
No it isn't stolen so there is no need to worry.

"Michael Marriott" wrote in message
Sorry if this sounds dense, but what do you mean by "Chipping"??

Do you mean "chips" as in those gained from stones that fly off the

road??
Or do you mean "Chipping" as with electronics where you want to be able

use cheats or pirated software??

If the later, chip what??????

Why would you need to "Chip" a Ducato??? Is it stolen???

Mike.

. ..

Old January 6th 04, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"SH" wrote in message
. ..
Comments below:-

Old January 6th 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
MrCheerful

"SH" wrote in message
. ..
I have asked before but have not received any response.
Has anybody had any experience of chipping their Fiat Ducato motorhome.

Steve

Talk to these people:

http://www.turboboost.co.uk/motorhomes%20chips.html

MrCheerful

Old January 6th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_2_]

Les
Thank goodness for a sensible response - I thought that I was going mad by
asking a simple question but getting some very strange replies. I know
exactly how you feel with regards to wanting just that little more torque
when required.
It seems that chipping a modern diesel is possibly the answer - but as with
everything - it would be nice to have a response from somebody that had
actually done this.
I am somewhat puzzled with responses referring to turbo boost when this
really has nothing to do with it - the chip actually changes the fuelling &
the timing of the injection which I would have thought would create only a
little more stress on the engine.

Cheers

Steve
"Les Rose" wrote in message

"SH" wrote in message
. ..
Comments below:-

Old January 7th 04, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

. ..

&
the timing of the injection which I would have thought would create only a
little more stress on the engine.

On some applications it will also increase the boost pressure by opening the
waste gate at a different time.

Rgds

Andy R