French / Belgium: Ypres, Somme and Aires de Service Info

Old January 15th 07, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Max

Default French / Belgium: Ypres, Somme and Aires de Service Info

Hi. First ever trip overseas in late May for 1 week. Arriving Dunkirque
and heading into Belgium. I was wondering if anyone had advice on:

a) which is the best guide book to get for Aires in France / Belgium?
There seem to be a few and they are quite expensive.
b) does anyone know a (free or v.cheap) download for TomTom POI of
Aires in these regions. There are sites where I can look up their
coordinates individually but it will be very time consuming to enter
them all.
c) I have a purchased michelin map of North France but is this the best
for touring (we'll be avoiding the toll roads).
d) Can anyone recommend a particular map for Belgium, preferably one
that shows tourist attractions?

We especially would like to know about

e) Camping/Aires near Ypres (Ieper) so we can visit (on foot?) the
Menin gate.
f) A good WW1 museum where I try and convey the horror of warfare to
the kids .Perferably with a mock-up trench or some such.
g) There are several large War graves in the area which will help to
visualise the scale of the losses on all sides. Is there one in
particular that is considered more spectacular/interesting that the
othes?

Thank you,
Steve

Old January 15th 07, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On 15 Jan 2007 04:57:35 -0800, I read these words from "Max"
:

Hi. First ever trip overseas in late May for 1 week. Arriving Dunkirque
and heading into Belgium. I was wondering if anyone had advice on:

a) which is the best guide book to get for Aires in France / Belgium?
There seem to be a few and they are quite expensive.

I carry a copy of CamperStop Europe which has around
800 entries (in English)
http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/#camperstop

as a back up to my main reference, Reise Mobil Bordatlas
which has 3,800 entries for Europe (NB. this one is *all*
in German !)
http://tinyurl.com/yghowq

I'll leave the rest to someone else, I'm normally only
'passing through' both these countries.

-- jjj

Old January 15th 07, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
GoNads

On 15 Jan 2007 04:57:35 -0800, "Max"
wrote:

[...]

20 seconds on Google brought this

http://www.i-campingcar.fr/accueil.htm
http://www.geotour.com/np-fr/thAires.html
http://www.airecampingcar.com/

--
Email:go-nadsAThotmailDOTcoDOTuk

Old January 15th 07, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RustYŠ

"Max" wrote in message
ps.com...

b) does anyone know a (free or v.cheap) download for TomTom POI of
Aires in these regions.

I don't think that there are any aires de service in Belgium but the French
ones are here in the tom-tom folder.....

Not all of these are correct though, we found a few that take you into the
middle of a field somwhere but most are good. On our last night in France
in October we stayed at one with completely free services including
electricity !

Old January 16th 07, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ticktock

Hi. First ever trip overseas in late May for 1 week. Arriving Dunkirque
and heading into Belgium. I was wondering if anyone had advice on:

a) which is the best guide book to get for Aires in France / Belgium?
There seem to be a few and they are quite expensive.

Can't comment on books for the Aires as we only have the Stellplatz
ones for Germany. We use the POI's for the Sat Nav for all countries
though, ... so even the Stellplatz books are very little used.

b) does anyone know a (free or v.cheap) download for TomTom POI of
Aires in these regions. There are sites where I can look up their
coordinates individually but it will be very time consuming to enter
them all.

Contact me off line to the group if you would like a copy of my POI
file which includes Aires, Stellplatz, RastPlatz, and about 80+% of all
the other camping-car facilities throughout Europe. Not much point
you re-inventing the wheel and typing it all back in again.

c) I have a purchased michelin map of North France but is this the best
for touring (we'll be avoiding the toll roads).

After many years of touring all over Europe we have yet to find a
French road atlas that comes anywhere near to meeting our needs (but
perhaps we are 'pickier' than most). To explain it a little further
let me just say that each trip we spend the first few days trawling
through the latest 'offerings' at the bookshops and service stations
trying to find that elusive 'perfect' atlas.
We now have about 9 various versions in the van that we have collected
over the years ... and not one of them has the consistency of road
marking, or the clarity of mapping that we are used to with such as the
Ordnance Survey series.
We find now that we treat the mapreading 'exercise' as part of the
'fun' of touring abroad. Every trip becomes a little bit of a magical
mystery tour (More so for us because of the size of our vehicle....
"can we make it?" "Are there any low bridges/narrow streets/weight
restrictions/impassable climbs?" All great fun as long as you don't
take it too seriously.)

d) Can anyone recommend a particular map for Belgium, preferably one
that shows tourist attractions?

If they can... I would be interested in it as well. The problem is
that the information on tourist attractions tends to be in the local
languages, so unless you speak Walloon/French/German/etc; it becomes a
bit hit-or-miss whether you actually find the attractions. We have
friends/contacts throughout Germany/Austria/Belgium .. and even with
their help we still find it a tad frustrating (This was one of the
reasons that I volunteered to host our uk.rec.motorcaravans database
.... I was hoping that we could expand it to become an english language
repository for European museums/attractions/fairs/etc.... but the only
folks that tended to use it were the scam artists and porn merchants so
it hasn't really been used to any great extent).

If you like clean quirky towns with friendly people you should like
Belgium. It, and southern Germany are our favourite european
destinations. If you go to visit the WW1 area you'll find lots of
areas/parking bays where the authorities tend to turn a blind eye to
their own rules at times. (There are many sings saying no
overnighting... but provided you don't set up a barbie, you clean up
after you, and don't abuse the situation, you should have no problems.
We wild camp almost exclusively in Belgium and in many years of
visiting the battlefield areas have never had the slightest problem
with the authorities or locals).
If you want to discuss more please feel free to contact me direct. I
don't claim to be the fount of all knowledge... but I am happy to share
what little knowledge I do have about touring Belgium (e.g. NEVER
attempt to use the Brussels ring roads between 0730am and 1030 or
between 3pm and 7pm ... seriously, unless you wish to take years off
your life through stress!)

Ian

Old January 16th 07, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On 16 Jan 2007 02:05:45 -0800, I read these words from "ticktock"
:

Contact me off line to the group if you would like a copy of my POI
file which includes Aires, Stellplatz, RastPlatz, and about 80+% of all
the other camping-car facilities throughout Europe. Not much point
you re-inventing the wheel and typing it all back in again.

Hi Ian,

I wouldn't mind a copy of that POI file.

If you don't mind taking the time to send it
(preferably as an attachment to an e-mail),
I'd be obliged.

Don't use this Usenet posting address.

It's legit but it goes to a spam filter and your
message may get lost among the cr*p that arrives.

The one below is my 'real' address.

Thanks

-- Ian Stewart
--