Adria Optima Brake Judder

Old July 12th 03, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Coleman

Default Adria Optima Brake Judder

I have an 1989 Adria Optima 500B which has severe brake judder. I have
checked the brake shoes, which appeared to be hardly worn, and following a
suggestion from another Adria owner, I put a champher on the edge of the
leading brake shoes, but this hasn't made any difference.
The brakes have been adjusted so they begin to bind on the first notch with
the handbrake, but I am not sure if this is correct as the braking system
and chassis seems to be Adria's own design, rather than AL-KO.
I have also checked the brake damper on the drawbar, and this has plenty of
resistance in both directions.
Has anyone come across this before and found a solution ?

I would be grateful for any advice.....

Thanks in advance... Alan

Old July 12th 03, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Williams

I don't know anything about caravans, but on a car or van brake judder such
as you describe can be caused by a few different things. Since your brakes
are shoes then disk run out obviously cannot be the problem, and you seem to
have checkjed and adjusted your shoes okay, but have you checked the wheel
bearings? Loose or worn bearing may be the cause of your problem. On a
steered wheel it can also be caused by faulty bottom suspension joints, but
I assume that you are talking about a fixed axle, so that can't be the
problem. Check out the wheel bearings, though (and the shock absorbers or
whatever other suspension parts are fitted).

Mike

Old July 12th 03, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Captain Splendid

"Alan Coleman" wrote in message
I have an 1989 Adria Optima 500B which has severe brake judder. I have
checked the brake shoes, which appeared to be hardly worn, and following a
suggestion from another Adria owner, I put a champher on the edge of the
leading brake shoes, but this hasn't made any difference.
The brakes have been adjusted so they begin to bind on the first notch

with
the handbrake, but I am not sure if this is correct as the braking system
and chassis seems to be Adria's own design, rather than AL-KO.
I have also checked the brake damper on the drawbar, and this has plenty

of
resistance in both directions.
Has anyone come across this before and found a solution ?

I would be grateful for any advice.....

Thanks in advance... Alan

Have you checked ur suspension or maybe wheel bearings?

Old July 13th 03, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Coleman

I checked and adjusted the wheel bearings when I checked the shoes. The
suspension seems to be a torsion bar type, the only thing I checked was for
movement between the axle and chassis, and it seemed solid enough.

I haven't checked the shock absorbers yet though !!