Rewiring a van to 13 pin Electric

Old February 24th 09, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CBS

Default Rewiring a van to 13 pin Electric

How easy is it to rewire the van electrics to the new /Euro 13 pin socket?

I will shortly be having a new towbar fitted and have the option to have the
newer (allegedly better) 13 pin socket. I would like to rewire the van to
match rather than use adaptors which to me just seem to add a further
potential problem.

Any body done it or any ideas?

TIA

Old February 24th 09, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rich B[_4_]

CBS typed:
How easy is it to rewire the van electrics to the new /Euro 13 pin
socket?
I will shortly be having a new towbar fitted and have the option to
have the newer (allegedly better) 13 pin socket. I would like to
rewire the van to match rather than use adaptors which to me just
seem to add a further potential problem.

Any body done it or any ideas?

TIA

I plan to do this (and rewire the car to the same spec) as I have had enough
of the 12N and 12S carry-on. I'm going to trace the cables back into the
van. If they all come from a common junction box, I am going to rewire it
from there. If they split beyond the gas locker, then I will find the most
convenient point and cut them there, fit a junction box and wire the 13-pin
forward of that. You will notice that this is my plan, and I haven't
actually done it yet, so take all that with a pinch of salt. You're right
about the adaptors, though. You really need the van wiring to be as simple
and unitary as possible.

--
Rich B

1971 S2a
1995 XT600E
2003 ST1300 Pan European
Oh, and a Ford

Take out the obvious to email me.

Old February 24th 09, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry[_5_]

"Rich B" wrote in message
CBS typed:
[...]

Just be careful about the wiring standard, with the change of plug came a
different standard on new cars and 'vans whereby the fridge and battery
charge are common on the car and use a split relay on the caravan. Old
setups usually had the splitter in the car (split charge relay). I think the
older system is better from point of view of volt drop.
You can wire 15 pin up to old standard and convert van similarly but just
watch it if tempted to plug an old van to new standard of wiring or vice
versa, too easy to discharge caravan battery through the fridge.
When I swapped my car the garage said they knew what I was talking about but
clearly didn't but fortunately I had been bitten before and checked it out
before taking it back to be re-done.
Barry

Old February 24th 09, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rich B[_4_]

Barry typed:
"Rich B" wrote in
message ...
CBS typed:
[...]

Good info, Barry - thanks. I didn't realise the wiring had changed *again*.
I had enough fun and games with a 1997 car and a 2002 van which didn't want
to talk to each other until I took it all apart and wired the car to match
the van.

I would guess with a 2002 van it will be the older system, yes?

Old February 24th 09, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:11:43 -0000, "Barry"
wrote:

Just be careful about the wiring standard, with the change of plug came a
different standard on new cars and 'vans whereby the fridge and battery
charge are common on the car and use a split relay on the caravan. Old
setups usually had the splitter in the car (split charge relay). I think the
older system is better from point of view of volt drop.

As I understand the change that was made in the standard the fridge
circuit remains completely separate from the other circuits untill it
is back into the cars system and the battery charging is done from the
permanently live circuit, using a voltage sensing relay in the car and
a similar one in the caravan. Since the new system has a separate
earth for the fridge circuit it is much better from the point of view
of voltage drop.
Bill Lord

Old February 24th 09, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:10:00 -0000, "Rich B"
wrote:

Good info, Barry - thanks. I didn't realise the wiring had changed *again*.
I had enough fun and games with a 1997 car and a 2002 van which didn't want
to talk to each other until I took it all apart and wired the car to match
the van.

I would guess with a 2002 van it will be the older system, yes?

No the system changed in 1998 when the first 13 pin plugs were
introduced.

Bill Lord

Old February 25th 09, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
g6zru

On 24 Feb, 20:35, "CBS" wrote:
How easy is it to rewire the van electrics to the new /Euro 13 pin socket?

I will shortly be having a new towbar fitted and have the option to have the
newer (allegedly better) 13 pin socket. *I would like to rewire the van to
match rather than use adaptors which to me just seem to add a further
potential problem.

Any body done it or any ideas?

TIA

This might help; http://www.eriba-amiga.co.uk/otr_towbar.html

Fred
Old February 25th 09, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rich B[_4_]

bill lord typed:
wrote:

Good info, Barry - thanks. I didn't realise the wiring had changed
*again*. I had enough fun and games with a 1997 car and a 2002 van
which didn't want to talk to each other until I took it all apart
and wired the car to match the van.

I would guess with a 2002 van it will be the older system, yes?

No the system changed in 1998 when the first 13 pin plugs were
introduced.

Ah, right, thanks. I didn't realise the 13-pins were as early as that. All
makes sense now.

Old March 25th 09, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy Hedge

It isn't difficult to convert caravan to 13 pin plug.

I converted our new Swift 540 two weeks ago, just ensure you get the correct
cable for the job from somewhere like
www.westerntowing.co.uk 7 cables are 1.5mm sq other 5 are 2.5mm sq.

On our van the existing 12n & 12S wiring terminated just inside front of van
behind fusebox, but because they terminated in plastic plugs I opted to cut
the cables, soldier and terminate into a new connector block.

Reseal cable where is passes through rubber grummet in van floor.

Also upgraded fridge feed in car, didn't like that the towbar fitter wired
this to socket in boot which was only supplied by 1.5mm sq cable. I ran a
new feed 2x 2.5mm sq back to car bus-bar under seat with 20A fuse. This now
feeds pin 9 on euro socket (grey cable)through a 30 smart relay.

If you need any help with colours on pins etc let me know.
royh

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/13069999.aspx