Solar panel Q

Old August 22nd 14, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
JTM

Default Solar panel Q

Seems fairly quiet on here for a long time but:
I have been given a solar panel and wonder if I can use it?

Details on the panel a-

WP=5 watts, Voc 24 Volts, Isc 350 mAmps
Vspec 15 Volts [email protected] Vspec= 324 mAmps
System Voltage Maximum=50 Volts

I've measured the output at 24 volts and wonder if this will
be too high for my 12v vehicle battery?

I haven't found anything useful on google

Cheers,

John M in sunny France

--
John Mulrooney

A soul that knows not to presume, is Heaven's, and its own, perfume
Old August 23rd 14, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
bert

In message , JTM writes
Seems fairly quiet on here for a long time but:
I have been given a solar panel and wonder if I can use it?

Details on the panel a-

WP=5 watts, Voc 24 Volts, Isc 350 mAmps
Vspec 15 Volts [email protected] Vspec= 324 mAmps
System Voltage Maximum=50 Volts

I've measured the output at 24 volts and wonder if this will
be too high for my 12v vehicle battery?

I haven't found anything useful on google

Cheers,

John M in sunny France

Voc is the open circuit voltage so would expect 24v if you simply put a
meter across the terminals
15v at 324mA gives 5w
At 5w I wouldn't think you need a regulator
So I think you would be OK BIANAE
To test connect a 12v 5w bulb across the terminals and observe - or
better still measure the current going through the bulb with an ammeter.
--
bert
Old August 23rd 14, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Riddles[_2_]

"bert" wrote in message ...

In message , JTM writes
[...]

Is there any danger that the panel could drain the battery at night/on dull
days, without a regulator?

I am no expert but I think I heard that there COULD be problems if no
regulator was used. Perhaps they just wanted to sell me a regulator!

Riddles

Old August 23rd 14, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
JTM

In article , Riddles
wrote:
Voc is the open circuit voltage so would expect 24v if
you simply put a meter across the terminals 15v at 324mA
gives 5w At 5w I wouldn't think you need a regulator So I
think you would be OK BIANAE To test connect a 12v 5w
bulb across the terminals and observe - or better still
measure the current going through the bulb with an
ammeter. -- bert

Thanks for that - should have thought about a test - mind
must be drained after the summer visitors!

Is there any danger that the panel could drain the
battery at night/on dull days, without a regulator?

I am no expert but I think I heard that there COULD be
problems if no regulator was used. Perhaps they just
wanted to sell me a regulator!

Thanks. That's my understanding too from a google check on
shottky diodes / solar panels

[as an aside]
your message came through as part of Bert's sig, perhaps
your news programme isn't set up properly

John (It's still sunny and I'm slightly burned)

--
John Mulrooney

The good we stand on is our truth and honesty.
Old January 14th 15, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Neil[_5_]

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 11:27:38 +0100, JTM wrote:

Seems fairly quiet on here for a long time but:
I have been given a solar panel and wonder if I can use it?

Details on the panel a-

WP=5 watts, Voc 24 Volts, Isc 350 mAmps
Vspec 15 Volts [email protected] Vspec= 324 mAmps
System Voltage Maximum=50 Volts

I've measured the output at 24 volts and wonder if this will
be too high for my 12v vehicle battery?

I haven't found anything useful on google

Cheers,

John M in sunny France

Apologies for late response, only just sunscribed to this NG.

You wont need a regulator for a 5W panel, but you WILL need a blocking
diode to prevent the battery from discharging through the panel when
its voltage falls below your battery voltage. I had a second-hand 10W
panel and only used a diode!

Neil

Old January 15th 15, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Mulrooney

In article ,
Neil wrote:
Apologies for late response, only just sunscribed to this NG.

When you've taken the trouble to reply, no apology needed!

You wont need a regulator for a 5W panel, but you WILL need a blocking
diode to prevent the battery from discharging through the panel when
its voltage falls below your battery voltage. I had a second-hand 10W
panel and only used a diode!

Ta for the input, it could be useful for keeping the leisure battery topped
up or even the ride on mower

John

--
John Mulrooney