Winter camping - any tips?

Old January 14th 15, 03:41 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Neil[_5_]

Default Winter camping - any tips?

Hi

I've been thinking about winter camping and have an opportunity this
February to try it in Derbyshire.

So, I have a choice of tents to use:

An Oztent RV4, which is a single skinned affair.
A Tentipi Arran 5 with or without the inner.
A Vango Hurricane Alpha, with an inner.

I'm inclined favour the Tentipi, and have small firebox in it. Always
using a tested and working Carbon Monoxide alarm though.

Any observations, tips, or advice based on experience would be really
appreciated.

Does anyone here do winter camping on a regular basis?

Neil.
Old January 14th 15, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Whiskers

On 2015-01-14, Neil wrote:
Hi

I've been thinking about winter camping and have an opportunity this
February to try it in Derbyshire.

So, I have a choice of tents to use:

An Oztent RV4, which is a single skinned affair.
A Tentipi Arran 5 with or without the inner.
A Vango Hurricane Alpha, with an inner.

I'm inclined favour the Tentipi, and have small firebox in it. Always
using a tested and working Carbon Monoxide alarm though.

Any observations, tips, or advice based on experience would be really
appreciated.

Does anyone here do winter camping on a regular basis?

Neil.

Very limited experience, in the 1960s and '70s using back-packing kit on
Dartmoor. We avoided freezing conditions though!

We certainly found fly-sheets well worth having, so a double-skinned or
inner and outer arrangement would seem to be better. The heat
insulation and better weather proofing are important, and condensation
inside is less of a problem if the inner surface can be kept warm.
Condensation is probably the biggest problem.

--
-- Whiskers