Replacing an Electrolux RM 275 Fridge on a 1992 Hymer B534

Old June 21st 16, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

Default Replacing an Electrolux RM 275 Fridge on a 1992 Hymer B534

Can anyone help?

Electrolux RM 275, Product number 9217211-01, Serial Number : 120 0235

My RM 275 has failed completely and is not cooling on any power source.

Based on information found he http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/...ment-is.86945/

I have purchased a new model RM 5380 from OBriens of 142 Millway Road, Andover, which arrived next working day, yesterday. On opening the box it can be seen immediately that the configuration of the new unit is significantly different. On the top of the fridge, the controls of the RM 275 are gas on one side and electrics on the other. On my Hymer, the gas taps for the cooker fit into the area above the centre of the fridge and there is a Hymer facia panel across all of them (There is no Electrolux facia panel). On the RM 5380 all of the controls are in the central location taken up by the cooker hob air inlets and gas controls. I have photographs available.

The Domestic engineer says the RM 275 was made specifically for Hymer and RM 5380 would have to have modifications made to its position under the gas hob.

Can anyone please advise on the best way of solving this problem to achieve replacement of my faulty unit?
Old August 11th 16, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

Good news!

After returning the new fridge and getting a full refund from O'Briens, we found someone who knew a lot about motorhome fridges and he looked at our fridge in our motorhome and after testing every part of the unit he discovered a problem he hadn't seen before.

There was a blockage that continued up the pipe for about 30mm. After cleaning it and blowing out the ammonia blockage also, the gas feed in pipe was cleared and this has provided the final solution as the fridge under gas is now making ice again. It also works perfectly on mains and battery after cleaning all the electrical contacts.

This is a test worth carrying out by people prior to the purchase of a replacement particularly when in our case there was no identical replacement for Hymers available.

For anyone who's RM275 is confirmed 'dead' then you would have to replace it with a smaller RM5310 and reconstruct the original fridge space area as the RM5380 will not fit the same space as the top configuration is completely different. O'Briens have these in stock.