Water Pump Problems

Old August 4th 17, 07:47 PM
Mrtheduke Mrtheduke is offline
Junior Member

Default Water Pump Problems

Hi,
We just had our first outing in our 2004 lunar quasar (our first caravan) that we recently bought. Got on site to discover that the water pump didn't work. I initially switched the pump electrics on before connecting the pump and the pump running light illuminated even though it wasn't attached. I then switched it off and connected the submersed pump switched it back on, opened the kitchen hot tap and nothing happened. Pump running light never illuminated again (with or without the pump connected). We were connected to a decent EHU so voltage shouldn't have been a problem. Cleaned the contacts on the pump and socket, but still no joy. Also tried fiddling about with the dial on the pressure switch but nothing. On returning home, I've connected up the submersible to a 12v supply and it does operate fine. The handbook suggests checking that it's not a blown fuse, but then doesn't describe where the fuses are located. I found the ECU with breakers for things like the water heater and the fridge, and also a fuse panel for the tow electrics \ lights in one of the seat lockers, but couldn't find anything relating to the pump (tried phoning a lunar servicing place but they couldn't tell me where it could be). Does anyone happen to have any idea where I might find them? Also, the van had been sitting in storage unused for a couple of years, I have read in a couple of places that this can sometimes cause the pressure switch to become stuck (the run light coming on when no pump was connected makes me wonder if this is the problem). I'll try sticking a multimeter on the socket to see if I get a current. If it is indeed the switch, is there anyway to free it, or will it need a new switch? Also, does anybody know of a way to bypass the switch just to check that it is in fact the switch and not a problem with the 12v supply to it? Any advice appreciated.
Old August 5th 17, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Mrtheduke wrote on 04/08/2017 19:47:
[...]

Remove the two wires to the pressure switch and connect them together. If
the supply is good the pump should run.

Roy
Old August 5th 17, 06:53 PM
Mrtheduke Mrtheduke is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
[...]

Thanks Roy, I'll take a look. If memory serves (van is at a storage site), it had two rectangular female connectors to the pressure switch each with 3 or 4 wires, but I'll check and try bridging them if there's just the two.
Old August 6th 17, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bert

In article , Mrtheduke
writes

Hi,
We just had our first outing in our 2004 lunar quasar (our first
caravan) that we recently bought. Got on site to discover that the
water pump didn't work. I initially switched the pump electrics on
before connecting the pump and the pump running light illuminated even
though it wasn't attached. I then switched it off and connected the
submersed pump switched it back on, opened the kitchen hot tap and
nothing happened.

Fir future reference it pays to get the cold water running first. The
hot water takes quite a while to come through as you have to fill the
actual water heater first before the water reaches the taps.
Pump running light never illuminated again (with or
without the pump connected). We were connected to a decent EHU so
voltage shouldn't have been a problem. Cleaned the contacts on the pump
and socket, but still no joy. Also tried fiddling about with the dial
on the pressure switch but nothing. On returning home, I've connected
up the submersible to a 12v supply and it does operate fine. The
handbook suggests checking that it's not a blown fuse, but then doesn't
describe where the fuses are located. I found the ECU with breakers for
things like the water heater and the fridge,

They are for the 240v mains supply to those appliances
and also a fuse panel for
the tow electrics \ lights in one of the seat lockers, but couldn't find
anything relating to the pump (tried phoning a lunar servicing place but
they couldn't tell me where it could be).

They are usually all together so I would pull and check each one. Have
you not got a handbook?

--
Bert

Old August 7th 17, 05:35 PM
Mrtheduke Mrtheduke is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
[...]

Thanks Bert, that's really useful. I'd read in the pump instructions to open the kitchen hot tap, but if cold is faster, that's much better to get up and running. The fuses for the s&n tow electrics are all helpfully labelled with right indicator, left indicator, fridge etc. But nothing that says water or pump etc. So doesn't seem like they are located together. That said the breakers for the 230 electrics, and the tow fuses are all located in the same seat locker, so it would make sense for the 12v ones to be in there as well but, alas, if they are I'm unable to find them. I do have a handbook, but unfortunately it's not very useful in respect of the fuses. It has a electrical diagram that shows the entire wiring system, but it just shows how the circuits are connected, without any information as to where the components are physically located within the van itself. The only other info in the handbook is the rating for each fuse. It seems that lunar produce the same handbook for all the caravans in the range for a particular year, so I'm guessing that whilst they use the same basic components, the location for each model of van is possibly different so they don't include it.
Old August 7th 17, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bert

In article , Mrtheduke
writes

-

--
[...]

Anything in the locker behind the battery box? There must be a bank of
fuses somewhere. Do you have a 12v power supply unit in a locker?
--
Bert

Old August 8th 17, 04:36 PM

bert;113613 Wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bert, that might be a good shout. I think the leisure battery locker is roughly where the 'fireplace' is and I did read on a thread that on a different Lunar model that someone found theirs either behind or via a hatch under there. Also the control panel with the switches that control the pump, car/aux etc. Is located directly above the unit that contains it, so it would make sense for it to be in the vicinity. I'll take a look!