Audible indicator relay, Advice please.

Old July 14th 03, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Default Audible indicator relay, Advice please.

In article ,
says...
|I've just fitted a new towbar to my 1999 Toyota Avensis and have used
|an Halfords Audible relay for the indicator warning. The problem is
|that it seems to work perfectly with the ignition switched on but the
|engine not running, (beeps with caravan attached, doesn't beep with
|caravan unattached). But with the engine running, although it works
|with the caravan it also beeps albiet rather quieter with the caravan
|unattached. Could this be a fault with the unit or is my wiring a bit
|iffy. I've checked and re checked and all seems to be OK. Any advice
|would be very welcome.

I have one of those fitted. In my case it sounds similar to your
problem, but I have put up with it for years. It bleeps when the trailer
is connected, as it should, but one side continues to bleep after the
trailer has been disconnected for sometimes several days afterwards.

I have not been able to find any faults or even leakage which would
account for this strange behaviour. The same relay has been used with
three different caravans and transferred to two Granada's in succession.

My best offer for an explanation is that the unit is detecting
capacitance on the wiring and assuming a load is connected. If you
disconnect the wiring at the 'relay' where it goes out the the 12s, the
noise should stop.... If not take the 'relay' back

Harry (M1BYT)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old July 14th 03, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Fitted a new relay this morning. Everything's fine now:-)))

Thanks for the feedback.